HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - LED light assisit (whiteout)
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 02:19 PM
cat_crazy

Default RE: LED light assisit (whiteout)

well i tried something new last week regarding the whiteout issue. i have been trying the led with my old 3.1 but i have been experamenting with positions in the field with the 6.0 IR cam. I placed it in a medow facing south, i went to get the pix today and found i did not have any whiteout pix at all. I have tried this facing north and did see some around dawn and dusk. as of now the cam is about 6 feet off the ground on the tree it is on facing down,30 feet from the bait and is not getting as many pix as the 3.1 that is 15 feet from the bait. the 3.1 gets about 72 pix a day and the 6.0 is getting 45 a day. this was a test just to see how the sensor reacts, but caught another possible problem. my 3.1 is sitting about 3 feet off the ground and 15 feet from the bait, with the 6.0 up so much higher and further i noticed the deer (pix from the 6.0) are starring at the 3.1 cam in most of the pics. this leads me to believe that putting the cam up above the deers eye level is the way to go. i didnt believe articles that mentioned this because i was still getting 400 - 650 pix a week with mature bucks almost just wanting to pose for the cam.
ok back to the led.
i am thinking that the led light assist is not the way to go but it does work. when set up, it sticks out like a sore thumb. not the goal i was wanting at all. i have ordered a lot of small odd shaped mirrors off of ebay and will be testing this next. my thoughts are that it will have to be removable or have the ability to be disabled depending on the area your putting it. if you are like me, it gets moved once in a while just to see what your missing over the hill or at a new scrape.

CC