Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Sharpening non SS broadheads >

Sharpening non SS broadheads

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Sharpening non SS broadheads

Old 11-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sharpening non SS broadheads

It's my understanding that due to oxidation, non stainless steel broadheads need sharpened much more frequently even when not in use, as they lose their edge "just sitting there". Thought you guys would be the ones to ask about this.

Any truth to this? If so, how often do you sharpen your heads each season before you fling them through a victim?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sharpening non SS broadheads

SS blades will also lose their edge, 'just sitting there.' It just takes longer for corrosion to get to them. But I very much prefer carbon steel broadheads. Knives too, for that matter. Much easier to sharpen to a very keen edge and the edge can take a lot more abuse than I've seen with stainless.

To fight off corrosion, I smear a little vaseline on my freshly sharpened edges. I've stored some freshly sharpened heads by coating them with vaseline and wrapping them in kitchen plastic wrap. After a year, they were still hair-popping sharp. During the season, I check my broadheads each night before hunting and touch up any that need it. I'd do that even if I were using SS blades. Just part of my pre-hunt ritual.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:12 AM

Default RE: Sharpening non SS broadheads

On a mule deer hunt in Wyoming last year, I watched the sun glint off my partner's SS broadheads from about 3/4 mile away. It was just like a beacon and I figured if I could see it, so could the deer. Since then I've gone to all carbon steel heads like Zwickey and Magnus.