Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sharpening Broadheads? >

Sharpening Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sharpening Broadheads?

Old 07-03-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Sharpening Broadheads?

Does anyone sharpen their own broadheads? I have some Magnus 2-blade 100grn broadheads and want to get a sharpener to use with them. Any suggestions on a good sharpener for that type of broadhead and any tips on sharpening them to razor sharpness? Thanks
Old 07-04-2003, 08:33 AM

Default RE: Sharpening Broadheads?

Krag, that is a great question, I wish I knew myself, having collected many year' s
of dull blades, I would love to try and restore some life back in some, replacement blade' s can very expensive[:@]
Old 07-04-2003, 09:05 AM
nub

I' ve always used replacement blades but have one of these in my tackle/tool box. One of the guys in camp used it with good results last year. I also have a handle that looks like the sharpener that the heads will screw into. Everyone should have something for touching up small knives and heads. I also have a 3 sided Arkinsas stone I' ll be useing for my montechs this year.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:34 AM

nub, how does it work? does it fit in a grove or a slot or somthing, would love to
find anything that would bring blade' s back to life, and does it get close to factory
sharp, because that' s what it would have to be thank' s
Old 07-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

That' s the Redi-edge sharpener and it works great. I use if for all my two and 4 blade cut on contact heads. Just pull the blades across until they are sharp and then strope them on a peice of leather.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used magnus myself with great results . One great benefit of useing this head is you can shoot it into broadhead targets / 3d targets and then just sharpen it on the arrow and your good to go . I just use a sharping stone like you would use for a knife and sharpen it in a similar manor to how you sharpen your knife . Idid' nt use them last year but year before last I shoot 2 deer and had 2 passthru' s they definately penitrate .
Old 07-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few of those Redi-Edge sharpeners. For what it' s worth, I find that the one with the " round" sharpener works better than the ones with the " flat" sharpeners.

I get my best edges with lansky' s diamond stones however. I am hearing good things about Montec' s " New" diamond sharpening stone made specifically for their G5. I am suppose to be getting one, I should have it by the end of the month so I will be able to comment on it with first hand experience.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:32 PM
AK

I' ve used lots of different methods over the years, from Lansky kits, to carbide V' s, to whetstones. The method I prefer involves a mill bastard file. It' s simple, cheap, fast, field handy, and does an excellent job. Files must be fairly new with sharp teeth. Flea market varieties are always too dull. I take a small file (~8" x3/4" file surface) into the field, but prefer a larger one (~14" x2" file surface) for use at home or truckside as it covers more of the broadhead and removes metal more quickly.

I start out by making 20 or so forcefull passes (from back of head to front) on each blade edge to remove factory mill marks (in the case of new heads) or dings (in the case of used heads). I keep rotating the heads and making forceful passes until I have a shiny, undamaged edge. That initial edge with still be fairly dull and rough with a burr and file marks. From that point on, I make successively fewer and lighter passes on each blade edge, removing the burr from previous passes and refining the edge. Eventually, I only make 1 or 2 very light passes per edge under only the weight of the file...pushing forward just gently. I repeat until the file has honed the head to perfection, sharp enough to shave clumps of arm hair in a single pass. I stop there if in the field. At home, I sometimes refine the edge further with a suede leather strop, occasionally coated with Brasso.

Expensive and time consuming tools not required. I' ve tried to improve filed edges on an Arkansas stone, but that actually dulls them.

This article gives some good insight:

http://www.bowyersedge.com/broadhead.html
Old 07-04-2003, 08:53 PM
tm
Fork Horn

I use a small diamond hone designed for fish hooks. For replacement blades if their too dinged for it I just replace them.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:31 PM
nub

Norse: Works great for me. So good in fact, the wife won' t let me sharpen her kitchen knives. She looks at a sharp knife and cuts herself! Pic shows it all.

AE: Flat vs Round? Like the one in the pic?

They say these things last a long time. You can even rotate the cutting tool if you keep the blade tool angles the same. I bought mine at a deer and turkey show a few years back. Under 15 bucks. Cabelas is where I found the pic. They have them for 18 I think.

5: Do you have the broadhead holder? Or do you use a shaft?

Quick Reply: Sharpening Broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.