Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Sharpening broadheads

Old 05-28-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Sharpening broadheads

New here and looking for some advice.
Always shot thunderheads and muzzys. Just replace blades and keep on going. I plan to try out the following three heads in the next few week: magnus stinger, steelforce, and G5 montec. I know these three are good quality heads but i have one problem, never had to sharpen BH' s before. I refuse to hunt with a head that is less than razor sharp. Is there one of these heads that is easier or more difficult than the others to sharpen? What type of sharpener do you recommend? I know steelforce will sharpen the heads for you but i would rather do it myself. Thanks and good shooting.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Sharpening broadheads

Here is a link that might help you. I have not read all of the content so I do not know how detailed the information is about the importance of removing burrs from the cutting edge.

Burrs on any cutting edge imparts a " jagged" cut. Jagged cuts tend to cause blood to coagulate in the wound and will slow or stop the bleeding faster. Additionally, a burred edge will dull quickly.

Although a broadhead and shaft cause a large open wound, any edge in your favor is advantageous.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/broadhead.html

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sharpening broadheads

You can sharpen stingers and steel force heads on either a redi-edge or acusharp sharpners. it does a quick job that gets the heads sharp enough to hunt. For a truely razor sharp edge a good lansky knife sharpning system works great. For the monotec' s I recomend flat diamond stones. I think G5 outdoors has some tips on sharpning the monotecs on their website.