Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 snuffer or zwickey/sightpins or not? >

snuffer or zwickey/sightpins or not?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

snuffer or zwickey/sightpins or not?

Old 10-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Default snuffer or zwickey/sightpins or not?

First. Obviously a three blade head will do more damage than a two blade head. I have both snuffers and zwickey heads. I can sharpen the Z's to an absolute razors edge on my paper sharpening wheels/grinder, and they shoot great. My snuffers are not "shaving" sharp. I have tried the diamond hone but they won't get as sharp as I like them to be. They shoot equally as well as the Z's. I think I have talked myself into giving up the third edge of the snuffers for the two scalpel like edges of the Z's. What would you do?

Second, How many of you shoot with sight pins on your recurve? I have a 20 and 30 yard pin. I shoot from both distances but I think a 20 yard shot is my limit in the field. Just curious what others use. I don't know any trad. shooters around my neck of the woods.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: snuffer or zwickey/sightpins or not?

If your Zwickeys are sharper and fly good don't hesitate to use them. The two blades will be more than sufficient if you place the arrow correctly. I don't use sight pins just because I don't like messin with stuff, I just like to shoot. Don't have to guess how high or low to hold the pin either. For huntin I keep it at 20 also. With a little more practice I may be able to move it out to 25yd, but 20 is good for now.

Brandan
Old 10-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am biased to my eskimos. I havent been able to get snuffers/wensel woodsmens to even remotely the same sharpeness as my Z's.

Also, no pins, although we have a couple of guys locally that use them.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted with a sighted bow maybe three times. I've found sights to be more of a handicap than a help on hunting bows. Use 'em if you need 'em, but I recommend trying to get to the point where you can free yourself from them. The ability to shoot a traditional bow from a variety of positions and with minimal muss and fuss is their biggest advantage. Sights really cut into that advantage. You're doomed to being able to shoot only when you're holding the bow straight vertical. Bad news when you need to cant to clear a tree limb with your limb tip in order to get off a shot.

Something I've always prided myself on is the ability to put a sharp cutting edge on dang near any blade. But I have to admit that Snuffers have defeated me. Never have gotten them anywhere near as sharp as I can a good 2-blade.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Same here, I can get Snuffers & WW's to easily cut hair, but not shave it. Also, I've noticed a more pronounced 'flight response' from most deer I've hit w/the 3 blade heads, resulting in slightly longer blood trails on average. Don't get me wrong, I still use Snuffers & WW's sometimes, they're fine heads & kill w/great authority. But if I could only have one broadhead it'd be a 2 blade; prolly Magnus II 125 gr.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah...as for sights, you should use what you have confidence in. Just be aware that you will give up some flexability on shot selection w/em (as stated above). Now IMO versatility is very important when hunting...so no sights for me thank you very much.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Maybe the Snuffers have less carbon in their steel ,
I'd stick with the Zwickeys .

My grandson's PSE Deputy has a single pin sight , and the few time that I've shot it I found the sight distracting . I greatly prefer K.I.S.S when shooting . I considered putting a single pin on mine at one time , and my loving wife even bought me a lighted one , but I've never installed it . Probably never will . Maybe someday I'll trade it to a wheelbow shooter for something I really want ...
Old 10-14-2004, 11:58 AM

There is nothing wrong with shooting a r/s two blade head. You'll actually get better pentatration with it over any r/s three blade head, in larger big game animals.
I shoot WW three blades and have no problem getting them razor sharp. I've shot Snuffer's in the past and also had no problem getting them razor sharp---ya just have to work at them a bit longer. I do prefer the WW head and have had complete pass-through's on elk and deer with them. Excellent blood trails too. Whatever head you choose, keep it razor sharp and pick your shots.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:36 PM

As I stated in my latest post, I took my sight pins off and went back to instinctive shooting. It took a bit but it all came back to me. It is sooo cool to see that arrow go exactly where I was looking! It is strange but even my bad shots aren't as bad as the ones were with my sight pins.

It'll be weird actually shooting at an animal with this setup. I'll just have to... "let go... use the force".... LOL! I'm going to keep practicing my form and shooting. I only shoot one arrow then go pull it. I try to visualize the shot, see the arrow going there then pick my spot and then shoot. Sometimes its freaky because as I'm visualizing the shot, I release and those are usually my best shots.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

I'm an Eskimo fan. No pins.