Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 snuffer/woodsman/zwickey >

snuffer/woodsman/zwickey

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

snuffer/woodsman/zwickey

Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 PM

Default snuffer/woodsman/zwickey

I'm building a recurve that should draw 55 pounds. I plan to shoot heavy arrows, so the real question is what head would you shoot. I have a set of zwickey, but i can't sharpen them at all. The snuffer is a huge head that will cause alot of damage, but what if i hit the shoulder, it's impossible to push that through the shoulder.The snuffer is also said to be inaccurate. The woodsman is a smaller version of the snuffer with only a 1 inch cut. IT's said they are more accurate. What would you choose to shoot. What one sharpens easiest, balances, flies, etc..Any experiences with any of the heads. I plan to hunt deer from the ground mostly, but sometimes from a tree with the max shot distance being 20 yards.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: snuffer/woodsman/zwickey

My advice would be to simply learn how to sharpen the Zwickeys & use them. Both of the other brd-hds you mentioned are even harder for most ppl to get sharp, & the Zwickeys are certainly up to the task of taking critters cleanly. - Have you tried a sharpening "system" like the Lanskey etc on the Zwicks?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:54 PM

I bought a sharpening kit out of black widow that came with file, two hones and a leather strop. It is very easy to use and allows me to get my zwickeys razor sharp. I think they sell one like it out of three rivers as well.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:29 AM

First of all the Snuffer IS NOT inaccurate, I like the snuffer, I like the way it flys and sounds goignthroug the air. and I cannot wait to start using them when I get back to the US
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 AM

Just out of curiosity Longbow, If the Snuffer is not accurate, why would you want to use it?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lone_wolf1966

Just out of curiosity Longbow, If the Snuffer is not accurate, why would you want to use it?
what? I'm a bit confused?????
Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 AM

Lone Wolf, you didn't read my answer go back and reread it.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 AM

Zwickeys are excellent, but you need a special sharpener , but the same goes for snuffers.
I have used zwikeys and grizzleys and muzzys for years ,haven't lost an animal yet.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the razorcaps and they are easy to sharpen, fly like field points, built like the snuffer. they sharpen easily with a mill file and leather strop. the snuffers are sharpened the same way. other good choice would be the montec g 5 head but a little softer steel, good for easy sharpening though. I saw that magnus has a new head out like the g5 montec. I thinks I am gonna stick with the razorcaps. I shot 2 hogs two weeks ago with my 45lb recurve and got full penetration, not pass thru's but entry and exit hole. hogs went less than 100 yards. the hogs were about 150lbs each. I shot them at 10 steps for whatever info thats worth too. I can't hit accurately over 18 yards so thats my limit.