Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Raining & Hunting

Old 10-16-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Raining & Hunting

This is my first year hunting with a long bow. I would like to know how many people hunt in the rain with there Stick & String.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Raining & Hunting

I was hunting this morning in the rain.Saw 3 doe-not shots.I don't mind a light rain but a heavy rain I won't hunt.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't mind a light rain but a heavy rain I won't hunt.
Ditto.[&:]
Old 10-16-2004, 09:35 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Same goes for me--I just don't enjoy sitting out in a duck-drowner. I don't have any good rain gear, and ain't gonna' put out the cash for it. I will sit through a drizzle if I don't get too cold. I hunt for the enjoyment of it, so when it's not fun anymore I leave.

Chad
Old 10-16-2004, 11:31 PM

A fog mist is OK, if a steady rain, Putting another pot of coffee on.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually go, most of the time I have no choice. Either its hunt or spend the day in a tent lol.

I love to do it also, used to bike in the rain, however AK ran and Mn rains are completely different. I could bike all nite in a MN rain and not freeze my butt off, I am sure I dont have to go into details on AK.

Stalking is better, this was the other reason I liked it. I hated sitting in trees. Dont get me wrong, I just enjoyed stalking so much more.

That said I wouldnt shoot something in a torrential down pour due to recovery. I still went though, it was just nice to get out. The animals dont hide and usually get up and move more unless its a bad one. The minute it slows, out they come....
Old 10-17-2004, 12:54 PM

I dont mind a real light rain...... but even if it gets steady Ill usually stay ....... but if it gets hard Ill leave. But I like it damp because the leaves make it REAL hard to stalk in to my stand quiet...

One of my memorable deer was taken in the rain. I had been hunting 7 days and passed up a few deer.... well on the last day of my hunt I woke up to a fairly steady rain....almost a 'medium' rain..... well I went anyway because I had been chasin a really nice 10 point all week. Well I was on stand about 45 minutes when an 8 point came down the trail - I had passed up this one 2 days earlier...... well considering I was a little cold, and a lot wet, I took the shot and dropped it inside of 20 yards..... in the rain... it was a great hunt.... in the rain.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Here on the Wet Coast your season pretty much ended yesterday, and not in February, if you're not willing to get out side if it's wet.

But those of us who live north of the 49th (and WA state folks) aren't made of sugar anyway...

RC
Old 10-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

I don't mind hunting in the rain, as long as it's lite to moderate. Heavy rain finds me snug at home with a cupper and a good movie or book.

I usually carry a mil issue poncho, cup, fire, esbit stove w/fuel, candle, coffee, honey, powdered creamer and a couple cookies, along with other gear, when hunting late fall and winter months. If it gets to raining too hard, I'll set up a shelter using the poncho, build a small fire, make some coffee and eat. If it don't stop, the poncho keeps me relatively dry till I get to the vehicle.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I don't enjoy hunting in a heavy rain but the times I did I seen some animals. Precautions must be taken to protect the fletches if hunting in rain and it is not always so easy in a heavy rain.
It has been snowing for 3 days here and they are calling for snow for 3-4 more days. Don't have to worry about a heavy rain at least. [:'(]

Quick Reply: Raining & Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.