Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

RECURVE OR LONGBOW?

Old 03-01-2004, 03:07 PM

Default RE: RECURVE OR LONGBOW?

I prefer a recurve. I just shoot better with one.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand your concern about the hot water method, Ossage, but I've come to prefer it in the past year.

I used to heat twisted limbs over a hot plate, then went to using a hair dryer on high heat and then to a heat gun to fix them. Problem with those is, if you get careless you can heat the limb unevenly or too much, break down the glue and delaminate the limb.

If the bow's finish is in good shape, the hot water method is better. There's no way you're going to get the limb too hot with hot tap water and the water heats the limb much more evenly. Even if the finish is screwed up, putting a healthy wax job on the limb before heating it will keep the water out.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:23 PM

I agree hot tap water is the best way to take a twist out. The finish should not allow it to absorb water. Strung or unstrung is the question.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:47 PM

You have to ask yourself how the twist got in. It probably didn't happen in the bath It probably did happen in or around room temperature. There really isn't any reason to believe it needs something other than what got it twisted to get it twisted back.

If you are just talking about the water as a heating medium, with zerro penetration of moisture into the wood, then that certainly isn't a huge risk Arthur. But it then becomes a question of just what the heck the warm water is doing. To plasticize the wood, the glue, or the pultruded glass requires considerable heat, warm water would be all but useless. But as long as it's working why worry.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:56 AM
Fork Horn

Recurves are shorter and easyer to draw. I like them more than longbows......
Old 03-14-2004, 12:08 PM

i shoot a 56 inch wasp recurve and i shoot a 68 inch longbow. the longbow took some getting used too and the recurve seemed easier to use at first but now i will shoot both effectively. depending on whether you shooting from a tree stand or spot and stalk or even in a ground blind would be what might help in making a decision on which to use. if you own both shoot both they will both do the trick and once you have the bows figured out it;s a lot fo fun shooting both
rob k
Old 03-17-2004, 12:15 PM

For those of you interested in the water straightening method here is an interesting cartoon:

http://www.archeryhistory.com/recurves/pics/limb.jpg
Old 03-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used a coupld of pieces of cardboard and a big C clamp abotu 1/3 up the limb. soaked only the limb (not the riser) in hot tap water for maybe 5 minutes ? Removed, twisted that bad boy using the C clamp as a grip, immeditaly strung it and let cool. I think i did this twice before I removed all the twist - good method IMO

Adcock, Acock ACS, Sley .... very smooth shooting, no recoil bows. Don't let these guys fool you, most recurves have shock/recoil as do longbows to a higher degree. Only after shooting a really smoooooooth bow does one realize this though, huh Chad ?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:00 PM

RECURVES ARE JUST SWEETER TO SHOOT ! SPECIALLY A SCHAFER SILVERTIP.