Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow or recurve??

Old 11-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Longbow or recurve??

My shooting has been improving thanks to all the advice and good info I get on this board. I' ve found that I shoot better with a tab than a glove and I was wondering if my accuracy would improve with a recurve.

What are your opinions?? Do you find you have better accuracy with a longbow or a recurve?? Is there a definite advantage to shooting one over the other??

I was considering ordering a Hunter II from Chad before my shooting went to hell in a handbag although it is improving once again. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 11-03-2003, 07:13 PM

Default RE: Longbow or recurve??

I' m a longbow man. I' ve tried recurves but found I' m a much better shooter with the right longbow. Haven' t found a recurve that made me want to switch. Tried a Hunter II, still like my longbow. Actually I can shoot the Falcon pretty well. I think it has a lot to do with the grip and the bow feels like a longbow[] Plus its not too expensive and Chad has some. Try a hybrid longbow, like a Selway Lil Magnum, Morrison Cougar, Thunderstick MOAB, etc........ I find these bows to be very forgiving. Have to admit, I shoot my Selway better than my Crusader. Better is not exactly right, just a bit more consistent. I' ll put more arrows in a tighter area. But then they are somewhat different stlye bows with different grips. Hope Chad doesn' t see this. Some longbows I just can' t shoot, like ones with straight grips. Keep practicing and trying bows and then you' ll find the one and bam you' ll feel like robin hood.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love longbows, but I am a lot better shot with a recurve. Some, like CT, shoot better with longbows. It' s kinda like the age old question " boxers or briefs." What' s a better choice for one might not work for someone else. Frankly, I don' t know how anyone can keep house without several of each.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

I shot recurves for 30 yrs. before finding a longbow that shot an arrow the way I feel a bow should shoot one. Now I hunt mainly with my Shelby Mustang longbow but every now and then I get the recurve out and shoot something with it just because. My son shoots the Hill longbows exclusively and loves them and is very accurate with them. Like Arthur P. says, it' s an individual thing but if you don' t try you' ll never know!
Old 11-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

I love and shoot my longbow, but the recurve was more consistently accurate for me if shooting targets and the like. The longbow is a natural hunting weapon for me. The recurve felt awkward at times and after I started shooting the LB the recurve felt clunky and almost alien in my hand.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

I love longbows too, but typically shoot recurves more consistently & can keep my ' edge' w/out as much practice time. Some ppl shoot longbows better, but as for which bow type is inherently the better shooter, well...they shoot recurves in the Olympics. You should try a ' curve, like stated above, or how will you ever know?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve shot recurves mostly. This summer I made myself a longbow. I' ve never shot any of the recurves(custom made or homemade ones) as well as I can shoot this longbow. I' m not sure if it is the bow though, because I switched from split fingers to three fingers under.
As sweet as this bow shoots, I don' t see me picking up one of my recurves anytime soon. That said now I have to get a deer with it.
Good Luck whichever route you take.
Happy Hunting
Dan
Old 11-04-2003, 10:03 PM

The bow that shoots the most accurate is the bow you shoot the most.