Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow or recurve.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Spike

Default Longbow or recurve.

If this is a stupid question, please forgive me. I have just one bow, and recurve. Ive been looking up the difference between a longbow and a recurve. From what i haveseen, a longbow would be more forgiving and easier to draw per equal weights. Im haveing a bear of a time getting down this recurve. My close friend, who has been working with me, is in Louisiana and im stuck here in Texas waiting for my house to be cleaned up in Conroe before I can move in. So I have no real mentor at this point. Would it be wise for me to get a long bow to help me learn?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Longbow or recurve.

darkarrow, what is the problems you are incountering? You are correct typically, a longbow is quieter, more forgiving and hunter friendly. But, usually takes a little bit to get use to the longbow low grip, but once mastered hard to go back to recurve. Let me know what you are doing and problem's likely can help.

todd
Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Longbow or recurve.

It really depends on the individual. Some folks seem to naturally shoot better with a longbow, some do better with a recurve. I always loved longbows, but I was really a far better shot with a recurve.

First thing I would ask about your problems is draw weight. How easy is that bow for you to handle? Can you draw and hold at solid anchor for minimum 15 seconds without strain or starting to shake? If not, I'd really advise dropping down 10 pounds in draw weight, no matter whether longbow or recurve.

Whether or not to buy a longbow rests on your shoulders and I won't advise either way. It might be the answer to your problem and it might not. I will say, if you stick with traditional, it's more than likely you will eventually wind up with at least one of each.