Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
self nocks, reinforced nocks? >

self nocks, reinforced nocks?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

self nocks, reinforced nocks?

Old 02-27-2002, 02:35 PM

Default RE: self nocks, reinforced nocks?

Grey,

Yea, I had thought about the micarta and came within an eye-lash of ordering some. It's a good idea and I probably should get off my duff and order some.

Old 02-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

yup..I would say LOTS..I cant sell it to ya but I can buy it for ya. The local shops have it! I was looking into getting some moose antler tips for doing horn nocks IF/WHENEVER I get a selfbow to hold up as I think the horn looks awesome and guy said why not use Ivory. It has a look all to itself! Didnt know about an ivory micarta, heck after shipping I think it would cost realativly the same due to shipping costs to Alaska for the amounts I would need to do a dozen or two reinforced nocks. My only complaint with all this.....man I like my solid caps LOL! I am not sure what they are charging for it around here though....Moose antler tips were going for 10 bucks a pound which btw aint much in tips. I think I ended up with 6 or 8 tips coming in around 2 lbs. Figured I didnt need the real thick ones so I picked throught he "scraps" believe me there is no such thing as scraps!!! We have ivory from Walrus, Whales, and Wolly Mammoths around, heck I am sure there is other stuff but thats all I know of. I'll have to take some pics of what these tourists traps look like..ya walk in and there is a pile of tusks in the back corner worth...I would say atleast a couple grand if not more, big ole things that look like they have been around the block a time or two...get past the outside and its gorgeous! Not sure also if it has to be carved or not due to the Marine Mammal Act of 76 but I think the guy was going to give it up with nothing more then a few scratches and calling it good as there isnt a limit to an amount of carving needed to be done and after you buy it there is no deal on what you can do with it other then you cant SELL it. I'll have to do some research this weekend if I have time. I screwed up on my "feature" strip on the canoe and have to redo it so I figured I'd head to the wood shop on post and get them to give me a hand and do it right the first time..I mean 2nd time and stop waisting a $45 piece of redwood LOL! I'll keep ya posted as to what I find....
Old 02-28-2002, 07:00 AM

Lilhunter & Grey,

It sounds like the micarta is the way to go.