Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Question about goldtip nocks.... the lock nocks. >

Question about goldtip nocks.... the lock nocks.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about goldtip nocks.... the lock nocks.

Old 01-21-2002, 11:00 AM

Default Question about goldtip nocks.... the lock nocks.

Have you noticed they "double snap" onto you string. It looks like there is a option when snapping your arrow on. The first notch seems just tight enough to be secure and is very near the end of the nock and the second is deep in the bottom of the nock and alot tighter.
Has anyone noticed any difference in the arrows placement on the string? I'd guess the first position would be less disturbing to arrow flight? Or is there some other significance to it that isn't obvious to me yet?
Old 01-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Question about goldtip nocks.... the lock nocks.

The double snap your feeling is present on most nocks to some extent. The reason is when you draw your bow if your not using a loop the angle of the string causes it to become unseated from the throat of the nock. If you didnt have the second set "snaps" if you let the bow down the arrow would fall off the string. If you want to see what I mean snap the arrow on the string and then lift up on the front of the arrow to simulate the string angle at draw. As you lift youll feel the first set disengage and the second set will then be stopping the arrow from falling off the string.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never thought of it like bonecollector describes, but it makes sense.

Anyway, you want the string all the way down into the throat of the nock. If you just stick it on until you get the first snap and then shoot, the string is going to push on through and get the second snap into the throat anyway. Having the string bouncing around in the nock like that is very likely to REALLY upset the arrow flight.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:52 AM

Thanks guys. I gave this some more thought last night and I realized exactly what Art described. Pretty obvious though.