Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

nocks

Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Default nocks

I am shooting an Alphamax 35 with gold tip CAA's at about 290 fps and I am having a real hard time seeing the arrow in flight. The arrows came nocked with pin nocks and that's the main problem. They are too small to see. I understand their benefit is their small weight, but it's not much of a benefit if you can't see them. What are people using for nocks with carbon arrows and the fast shooting bows?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: nocks

You can probably very carefully heat the pin nock adapter just enough to loosen the glue if it's hot-melt. Then you could install CB Bushings and use G nocks or use regular Uni-nocks. That being said, the fact that you can't see the arrows in flight is actually a good thing. If you are concentrating on aiming and follow-through then you shouldn,t see the arrow anyway.

You may want to see how your arrows are flying with broadheads. If so have somebody else watch them and you just make the shot. Do you want to know where the arrow went? Ask yourself, Where was the pin when the bow went off.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Bgfisher, not being able to see your arrow in flight is a good thing. If you get in the habit of trying to see the arrow in flight it isnt going to be long before you are actually moving the bow off to the side before you make the shot trying to see the arrow flight. I shoot the pin nocks because they made my arrows group better and the pin protects the back end of the arrow better.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM

I am now checking into wraps to increase the visibility, which means I need to replace the Blazer vanes I am currently using. I went with the blazers initially because I used to shoot a whisker biscuit. Now I am shooting a fallaway. Which vane system seems to work best with the fallaways when shooting a fixed blade? Anyone have any opinion on the shrink-to-fit vane and wrap systems?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id stick with blazers if your shooting fixed blades.

Guys- It is good to be able to see your arrow in a hunting situation. If you cant see your arrow at all, id go with the wraps.

Derek
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can use any vanes (or feathers) you wish- I'm partial to Blazers, and I like the AAE Max Hunters too, though they are noisier and can't take a hit as well as a Blazer can.

Feathers would be fine or standard 4" vanes from Vanetc, Dura, AAE, Flex Fletch, etc all would work well.

Those shrink versions I personally would avoid- sticking your carbon arrow in boiling water is not a good idea, IMO- even for 10 seconds, and also they use very heavy NAP vanes (which messes with your FOC unless you have heavy points/inserts)

Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

You never did state what color your nocks are???? If they are not white, run a little bit of paint over them. But I would personally swap them out for Uni's. I would definetly go with the wrap as well and use the NAP SpeedHunter vanes. If you still dont like all that and still cant see your arrow, better invest in 6 lumanocks.

On seeing your arrow, I agree during hunting you want to be able to see it but during practice, I dont want to because I want to grove a consistant routine in my mind and body. Then again if you were shooting at a brown target you may see your arrow better. I've never shot a blue deer before.....heck never a blue anything.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM

I've actually been looking at the NAP SpeedHunter vanes so that I can get some spin on the arrow. I don't think the Blazers (without any twist) are going to spin the arrow. I am just a little concerned with noise and loss of speed with a spinning arrow. I guess it's a little give and take. A little spin to stabilize the fixed blade and as little noise and speed loss as possible.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pukeleeland

I've actually been looking at the NAP SpeedHunter vanes so that I can get some spin on the arrow. I don't think the Blazers (without any twist) are going to spin the arrow. I am just a little concerned with noise and loss of speed with a spinning arrow. I guess it's a little give and take. A little spin to stabilize the fixed blade and as little noise and speed loss as possible.
Oh yeah they will Your arrow will spin w/out vains. The twisted vains will spin more, and allow for better stabilization/flight. You will also lose some speed, and maybe then, you will be able to see your arrow haha.

Derek