Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Longbow , AFB and Recurve >

Longbow , AFB and Recurve

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow , AFB and Recurve

Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Longbow , AFB and Recurve

From what i've heard and been told , but never explained .... why are longbows or AFB harder to shoot than a Recurve .
Can sombody explain why it is more difficult to shoot ..say something like a Bear Montana , than it is to shoot a hunter Recurve like a MartinX200 or Bear Kodiak . I'd really like buy a Montana , but am doubting my choice because of this factor .
Old 02-14-2009, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Longbow , AFB and Recurve

why are longbows or AFB harder to shoot than a Recurve
As far as for hunting and general goofing around with a bow, this is a myth by way of over-generalization. The probable origin of the myth comes from the fact that recurves usually have more mass in the riser than longbows, which makes them more stable and a far better tool for plunking arrows into target faces. That's why you see them in the Olympics rather than longbows. A good many of us mere mortals who do not have the archery skill of Olympians actually do shoot recurves better than they do longbows. I am one of those who loves longbows but was always a much better shot with a recurve. On the other hand, many others shoot longbows just as well as they can shoot a recurve. Many shoot longbows better than they can shoot recurves.

Whether or not YOU will be able to shoot a Montana better than or as well as you can an X200 or Kodiak, nobody can say. It's one of those mysteries that can only be solved by actual shooting.

Even then, if you don't shoot the Montana well, it's entirely possible you could shoot great with another longbow. Fit and design are even more important with traditional bows than it is with compounds. And remember that most traditional bows are made, in large part, with natural materials, and natural materials are not homogenus and consistent. I've shot exact duplicates of the same bow before with one feeling really good with a smooth draw and the other one feeling a bit off and more stubborn to draw. I'm sure there is scientific reasoning for this to happen but I prefer to think of traditional bows as having personalities. You need to find a bow with a compatable personality for you to really shoot well with it.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe the longbows of today are any harder to shoot then a recurve. The longbows back In the day that weren't center shot were a bit tougher to get set up.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

" I'm sure there is scientific reasoning for this to happen but I prefer to think of traditional bows as having personalities. You need to find a bow with a compatable personality for you to really shoot well with it. "

I'm a Redhead and i have a fiesty personality , do they do a bow like that . Come think of it , i shoot an X-Force .... nuff said .

I'm hoping to try a couple of bows out , to see what suits me and going off what you say , i may opt for a different choice . Quite a different response to what i was expecting , but definately food for thought ... cheers guys