Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 So we have our Carbon Arrows. >

So we have our Carbon Arrows.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

So we have our Carbon Arrows.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Banned

Default RE: So we have our Carbon Arrows.

Alpha Capothe most common way to get bent arrows is a deer running tiwh one sticking out of them - maybe you've not had that problem ?

I stump shoot a lot - that bends aluminums quick too. If you shoot at bags etc, then you're probably minimizing your bending risks.

I like carbons

LBR Get a 400 shafts I imagine, yellow weight tubes, 100 gr inserts and those 300 gr broadheads Morrison has(I believe its Morrison) or some of the 200+ gr Ashby heads and you'll have your 800-900 grains. I have no idea how you'd have to cut your shafts to get a nice flying arrow though.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

i know...i just dont like how people talk about aluminum arrows as if they all you have to do is look at them funny and they bend....they are almost as durable as carbon when you reallythink about it and they are cheap price wise...

my Trad arrows tend to take more of a beating than my compound arrows....its not there fault tho....if you shoot something that isnt supposed to be shot....thats your fault (stumping...or nok'in squirrels out of trees)...not the arrows.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

Alpha CapoI'm hardon equipment, I use it, I dont baby it ...... funny thing about carbons is you can tap 300 grains to the tip and they fly well - there is a quality in them that allows high FOC without jacking up the spinemuch.

Put 350 grains on the tip of a 2117 and see itfly like a limpnoodle
Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

To tell you the truth, I am pretty much done with shooting aluminum. Last year was the first time in many years that I gave carbon another chance, and I ended up liking them. I'll also continue to use woods.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

going on a elephant hunt with your 300 grain head???.....maybe watter buffalo??? or Rhino???

Why put 300 grains infront of a .400 spine alum arrow?? especially if you know it wont work right in the first place???
Old 04-10-2009, 12:22 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I ain't figured out the need for a 300 grain broadhead to begin with....125 grain heads have served me well so far. I can see where they would be handy on really big, really thick skinned game, or if your arrows are WAY too stiff, or if you have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket........[8D]

Chad
Old 04-10-2009, 12:31 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

going on a elephant hunt with your 300 grain head???.....maybe watter buffalo??? or Rhino???

Why put 300 grains infront of a .400 spine alum arrow?? especially if you know it wont work right in the first place???
I let the arrow tell me what to do. First off I start with a arrow weight I want.

I like 10-11gr/lb draw. I like having lots of bows, so this way, they all generally hit the same POI. All usually are 175fps.

Ok, next, I desire greater than 14% FOC, and less than 25%. So I pick the spine I need for all those combos.

For instance, for my black widow longbow. Its 66lbs at 29". So I want ~650gr arrow. So I go thru my carbon spines and figure out combos to get my arrow I want. I use gold tip trads and the wiegh system they have. So I find there 7595's are .3" spined, and to get the flight I want, I add 100gr of brass wieghts and use a 200gr BH. On the nock end, I use a nock adaptor and add wieght up and down to adjust spine. I then bareshaft shoot and add or decrease wieght as needed.

I could have used a 5575 with 125 tip but I would only be like 450gr. Bow is noisier, I don't have my high FOC, POI is little higher than I am used too.

If 125gr works, so be it, as long as it hits my criteria of 10-11gr/lb draw and >14% FOC.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:51 AM
Banned

momentum of a heavy arrow - and front loading carbons seem to work very well, where aluminums go all freaked out with the additional weight carbons do not. I don't know why - they just have a quality that allows a big range unlike the aluminum's I've shot

My experience in killing/wounding animals says to hunt with heavy arrows that shoot well. Thats what front loaded carbons are
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 605gr arrow with a 300 grain tip. A 100gr brass insert and a 200gr Muzzy Phantom. Insert and phantom cost less together than most 125gr BH's. I agree there may not be a need for an arrow like that for hunting deer but I don't see any downside to it at all. There is minimum that is needed for hunting deer but it is the rare person that hunts with just what is needed.