Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

carbon arrows

Old 09-08-2004, 10:11 AM

Default carbon arrows

I recently purchased some Gold Tip pro hunters and they fly awesome, just 1 hang-up. I've tried other carbon arrows and had bad luck with them-lost deer with great shots. I've had 1 pass through with carbon arrows. I've shot alum. for years and have nothing but passthroughs with them. I want to hunt with the carbons because they are fast, but at the same time I'm trying not to get caught up in the speed game, so as you can see I'm not sure what I should put in my quiver. I'm shooting a Hoyt Cybertec cam and a half-29in draw, 70lbs- 28in. Gold Tip pro 5575 with 100 grain Muzzy 4 blade. The bow has been paper tuned with these arrows. Still have XX78 2314's ready. What should I shoot? Just curious.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carbon arrows

Well I am using the Gold Tip Pro for hunting this fall. I don't think the added weight with alum's is needed for DEER. JMO.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:52 AM

The compermise between alluminum and carbon is weight/speed. You should have plenty of umph to get thru a deer with your set up though. GT pro hunter shafts are tops IMO. I shoot advantage pro hunters and will for years to come.

I've tried other carbon arrows and had bad luck with them-lost deer with great shots.
Don't take ths the wrong way but if you didn't recover the animal, how can you confirm it was a great shot? With you set you have more then enough KE to pass through. I'd be willing to bet the great shot wasn't as great as you may think it was. Stick with the GT for this season and you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

thats weird i did exactly the same thing as you, i have my 2314's as a back up, im still not sure if i did the right thing, going to carbons, i also went to the gold tip 5575's they shoot great for me, but so did the xx78's. i guess time will tell, ill tell you though the first time i can prove the carbons did my wrong im going right back to the xx78's...
maybe i should have just stayed with alums....
I just hope they work out...
Good Luck...
let me know how you do...
Old 09-08-2004, 02:34 PM

I've seen little difference between carbons moving at high speeds and aluminum moving at more moderate speeds in terms of penetration. All the archery ballistics programs I've punched numbers into actually show very little difference in KE inside 50 yards between slow and heavy or fast and light from the same bow. Shot placement and broadhead design are much more important. I will definitely say that my experience has shown carbon to be much more durable for hunting. One season, I arrowed 4 deer with a single carbon arrow. I just kept replacing the blades in the Thunderhead 100 and putting it back in the quiver.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:31 PM

This will be my third year shooting carbons (GoldTip 5575) and I really don't think it matters if you shoot alum or carbon.........shot placement is the key. I have taken 4 whitetails with carbons and all were pass thru shots, as were most of my shots in the past with aluminum arrows. I switched to carbons mostly for 3D and just kept using them during hunting season and they work fine.

Good Luck
Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 PM

Neither speed alone or weight alone = passthroughs. Speed + weight = kinetic energy which + shot placement = passthroughs. Usually the weight given up going to carbons is more than made up for with the speed. KE usually increases. Comes down to placement.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Spike

i went to carbon express hunters two years ago , they are 12 grains per inch. this sounts heavy but still muchlighter than the alum. i used to shoot. i have shot 5 deer with them with 100 grn. rocket aeroheads ultimate steels . all have been pass thrus. no way i would switch back.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. After reading them, I think I have more confidence in the carbon arrows. Opening day is this Saturday, can't wait to try them out.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:40 AM

Carbon, and muzzy's are ok.[8D]