Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 So we have our Carbon Arrows. >

So we have our Carbon Arrows.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

So we have our Carbon Arrows.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So we have our Carbon Arrows.

I have a question y would u want ur arrow that heavy? I have never and dont no y u would need a arrow that heavy. So can someone explain to me y u would want it that heavy
Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

I have a question y would u want ur arrow that heavy? I have never and dont no y u would need a arrow that heavy. So can someone explain to me y u would want it that heavy
Penetration plain and simple. We don't have speed so we have momentum.

900gr is pushing it for me. but I need 10-11gr/lb of pull. So a 60 bow, a 650gr arrow is perfect.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Banned

killzonearchery how much traditional archery experience do you have?

I've trad hunted for ....... 5-6 years now I guess. Until I switched from 525 gr arrow to 700 gr arrows I NEVER got passthrouigh shots.

It makes a world of difference
Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got 3 of 4 passthru's on deer last year with a 420 gr arrow from a 53# recurve.
4th stopped on the offside leg breaking it after passing thru the near side paddle bone.

Steve
Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

killzonearchery how much traditional archery experience do you have?

I've trad hunted for ....... 5-6 years now I guess. Until I switched from 525 gr arrow to 700 gr arrows I NEVER got passthrouigh shots.

It makes a world of difference
Man, I have shot I bet dozens of deer with compounds and sometimes see that arrow just stick in and not go thru. I am always shocked with all that speed.

Then first time I fired off at a deer, with a longbow, and I saw that arrow lob thru the arrow looked like it disappeared. Went thru that deer like butte. I learned right there, wieght is where its at.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Banned

SteveBNy I can only tell you my experiece spanning a couple of decades now of bowhunting whitetails, elk, mule deer, etc in a dozen states, Idaho to NY state, Texas to South Dakota with a few animals taken along the way

Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just sharing mine as well.

Steve
Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I don't like "bend"

I like straight, or broke
I don't either, thats why we can buy more. And won't have the spine inconsistency to deal with, and can reheat my arrow to rotate an insert.
How exactly do you bend your aluminum arrows....ipractice withthe same aluminum arrows for 5 years with my compound...out of that dozen there are 10 left all of them are dead strait...the other two got lost in some tall grass but i sure they are probably still strait.

How do you bend your Arrows?

ive never bent an arrow from hitting my mark or from pulling out of a target....the only way they bend is if your shooting green trees, concrete, or shooting into some super hard ground

how do you bend your arrows???

if you shoot a deer and your arrow gets bent up...big deal...go buy another for $5 and put the bent one in your Kill collection.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't see anything wrong with a heavy arrow, and they are certainly quieter on the shot.......but does anyone "need" a 600+ grain arrow for deer hunting? I don't think so, if they are doing everything else correctly.

A super heavy arrow is often used as a band-aid to allow for some other problem--much like some folks using huge feathers to coverfor improperly spined arrows or a really lousy release. I used to think I "had" to shoot bows at least 60# at my draw, to get a good release. It was easier to shoot a heavier bow than to work on the real problem.

Sure, there are situations where a heavier arrow can help, but how much it helps is directly related to whether or not you have done your part. If you put the arrow in the right spot, if your arrow is properly matched to the bow and your release is good so you have perfect arrow flight, etc. then you shouldn't gain much of anything, unless you count how deep your arrow goes into the dirt as a "benefit".

If you are shooting a light draw weight, and/or have a poor release, and/or haven't tuned for perfect arrow flight, and/or make a bad shot, etc. etc. etc. then a super heavy arrow might be the difference in meat in the freezer or a story about the one that got away.

I'm confident saying this because animals don't vary in construction--by this I mean you won't find one deer that's "soft", but another that's armor plated. Sizes and weights vary, but body and bone structures don't. I know that a 550 grain arrow shot from a mid-50's longbow (not one of the ones touted as the fastest in the world either) will penetratea mature cow elk's shoulder blade, vitals, and hit the far side shoulder blade. There's not a whitetail on the planet that's any tougher than that, at least if you put the arrow in the right place.

I know a mature whitetail doe can be killed with a quartering-to shot from a recurve pulling maybe 35@26 (pretty sure she was pulling less/shorter) with an arrow that weighs 380- grains. I wouldn't reccomend trying it, but it can be done if the archer does their part correctly.

Doesn't matter to me if it's wood, aluminum, or carbon. Either one has been used to take it's share of critters--I'd dare say that wood has been used more than aluminum and carbon together. I don't have any problems getting my less-than-perfectly-straight wood arrows to shoot through animals. Poor quality carbons won't be pefectly straight, and usually they won't be spined the same either. Good quality aluminum doesn't bend easily at all. There's few, if any, traditional shooters alive that can shoot the difference in an arrow that's a few thousandth's off in straightness.

Anyhow, back to the topic--it's interesting to me to see how folks get those dang carbons weighted up enough to shoot from heavier bows. I may need this info. one day, if I ever get a chance to do my dream hunt (Asiatic water buffalo). For those critters, I definately will need a heavier arrow--at least 800 grains according to the guides and hunters I've talked to.

Chad
Old 04-09-2009, 01:16 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I don't like "bend"

I like straight, or broke
I don't either, thats why we can buy more. And won't have the spine inconsistency to deal with, and can reheat my arrow to rotate an insert.
How exactly do you bend your aluminum arrows....ipractice withthe same aluminum arrows for 5 years with my compound...out of that dozen there are 10 left all of them are dead strait...the other two got lost in some tall grass but i sure they are probably still strait.

How do you bend your Arrows?

ive never bent an arrow from hitting my mark or from pulling out of a target....the only way they bend is if your shooting green trees, concrete, or shooting into some super hard ground

how do you bend your arrows???

if you shoot a deer and your arrow gets bent up...big deal...go buy another for $5 and put the bent one in your Kill collection.
You can bend an arrow many way. You could do it over your knees. Put in a vise. But why do you want to learn how to bend arrows?[8D]

I bend a lot of arrows roving in the woods. I am on the same set of Easton Legacy's I have had since I started trad. I have 7 left. Two are bent. I have an arrow straightener.

Quick Reply: So we have our Carbon Arrows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.