Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Heat Box Build along

Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Heat Box Build along

Back in May I built a laminating heat box and thought I would share the build along with the guys here as I have not seen a build along on this site.

I brought 2 sheets of 8'x4' plywood got them to cut 1 in 1/2 to be the sides and the other sheet into 2 12" peices for the top and bottm I cut the remaining peice into 2 24"x12" for the ends.

Now with all it all cut to specs with the exception of the top and bottom I will measure those lenghts when I get the ends and sides on.

It's time to start making the box, what I done was measure in 1/4" from the sides and drill pilot hole and started the screws. Easier to do it this way if you don't have help.

After I had the ends and sides glued and screwed I measured the lenght and cut the top and bottom.
Once again I drilled pilot holes and started the screws then glued and screwed the bottom on.
With that done it is starting to look like a box but a bit on the flimsy side so I got some 2"x2" glued and screwed those into the corners.

Time to put the top on and now who would believe it I have a box.

I really wanted to use the table saw for a more even cleaner cut but there was just no way I could manage a 88"x12"x24" box on my own with the table saw.

So I measured down from the top all the way around the box 8" and drew a cutting line.

Now I am not the best with a skill saw so I just took it nice and easy and made the cut took me a good 15 to 20 minutes but finally got the job done.

I decided to make up a light bar insted of mounting the light sockets direct to the top of the lid.

I did have to cut a small section out of the timber as the terminals where slightly touching the wood and I am not going to take any chances when it come to electricity.

I only screwed the lights to the lid just incase I have to take them out for some reason.

Now with that done it was time to put the reflective bubble insulation in.
For this I just used a staple gun.

This is the lid.

Now the main body of the box I was lucky and only used 1 roll of the insulation with a little to spare.

Then I took the lid into the house as it was starting to get hot and humid outside to wire up the lights to the switch, install the thermostat and of course to see if they where going to work or I was going to blow up my house[8D]

Well the lights came on and no breakers tripped so I gues I got the wiring right.

Now all I have to do is put on the paino hinge so back outside.

Now just 3 handles to put on and the heat box is finished

I put 1 handle on each end as carry handles and 1 on the lid so I can open and close it.

Oh the old shed in the pics is now longer there I had a 10'x12' lofted barn built so now I finally have a decent work shop and wont have to sweat it out in the hot Texas sun
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heat Box Build along

Good'un, Russ.

I see you simultaneously achieved a photgraphic record of your late shed for posterity. [8D]
Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Excellent work. My first oven was just foam board and lights with a blanket to cover it to increas3 the heat. The one im using now is a bunch of scrap wood I had setting around that I put together in a make shift oven. Works good, but doesnt look near as good as yours.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
bigcountry

Fancy fancy heat box. Where's the forms?

Listen guys, I don't need this crap right now. I am trying to learn selfbows.And I have totally engulfed myself in it.I don't need any more reasons to try to build something else until I have successfully made a top notch selfbow. So for the sake of my sanity, don't be postin anymore laminated build alongs.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Good'un, Russ.

I see you simultaneously achieved a photgraphic record of your late shed for posterity. [8D]
Yeah mate it had a good life but it was a pain to work in not to mention bloody hot

I think the new barn looks a lot better don't ya think?

Kent.

The oven works real good the thermostat cuts in when the temp gets down to 150 and shuts the lights off at 180, the best thing is when you touch the out side of the box it is still cool to touch so no heat is being lost, but boy that blast of heat when you open it takes your breathe away

Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where's the forms?
BC

I can't find the pics from when I made the form but am going to make another one or three here shortly.

But this is what my current form looks like.

One of the fourbrackets that holds it all together.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Lol. Mine loses heat from the top like a campfire. I keep saying im going to build a good one, but just have not found the time or reason. I have a thermostat, but have yet to hook it up. It has been setting on the shelf in my shop for over a year. I keep thinking ill build a nice oven, like yours, but just have not done it.

If you ignore the bow on the tiller tree, and its need of more tillering, you can see my hotbox in the far right corner. Im not sure if im going to build a new one, or just make a new lid. I can probably get by by just building a deep lid. I just have not got around too it. As you can probably tell by the shape of my shop. lol.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will have to help ya clean it out when Bob and I come over for the hog hunt, looks like there is some gear in there I could put to good use
Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't do it Burnie...he'll break something! Besides his visa doesn't allow him to travel outside Burleson!Need you a ac/heating unit in the window now Russ then in case you make the wife mad your setup!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the new barn looks a lot better don't ya think?
Much better. Congrats on your new sanctum sanctorum.