Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Do you recognize this knife? >

Do you recognize this knife?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Do you recognize this knife?

Old 06-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do you recognize this knife?

Do you recognize this knife? It has an inscription on the blade in some foreign language. I would try to transcribe the letters but it's very small and I'm not at all sure but it might be Nordic or Baltic possibly. It took a really, really good edge and is now surgical sharp. What kind of wood do you think the handle might be?

Old 06-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you recognize this knife?

I've got nothing but bad guesses... but it is a very pretty knife.

I won (a long time ago) a very nice quality folding knife at a Fly Fisherman's dinner banquet raffle. Theblade has the EXACT same design and shape, only a bit larger and it's a folder. The knife was (ironically) Sweedish made. Picked up on some European trip by a rich-well traveled member and subsequently donated to the raffle.

Knowing that, I'd guess the handle is moose antler... I can offer no assistance on the inscription, not only because I don't speak any foreign languages but I can't see it in the pictures either.

Good luck.. definately a pretty piece though!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a typical finnish puuko design. If its a wood handle probably some type ofsofter wood, which you cantell by the weight ofthe handle.Is the handlevery light in weight.They are a little too far north for the typical exotichardwoods which other people use. If horn then moose or reindeer. All those nordicknives have pretty good steel even the cheap oneswith the laminated steel blades which those guys seem to have some sort of corner on.I have always been impressed with their knife steel as its very workable and can be sharpened real easy though it does tend to rust a little easier which is true of most working knives. Hope it helps.

edit: the handle is probably curly birch, I have something similaron afillet knife I have, just didn't know the name of the wood. take care.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking more German than Scandanavian because of the blood groove. Some puukos have grooves though... Nice looking knife though, for sure.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's definitely hand made. When I first started making knives I didn't put my name on the blades. The handle could be some kind of burl, it's hard to tell. Sure hasa Scandinavian look to it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have not seen a blood groove on any modern Scandanavian knives. Might be German, or someone could have reworked an old bayonet into a hunting knife. either way it is an interesting and unique knife.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: maineac

I have not seen a blood groove on any modern Scandanavian knives. Might be German, or someone could have reworked an old bayonet into a hunting knife. either way it is an interesting and unique knife.
Bayonet? Did you see it in relationship to the penny?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Smurf wars![8D]

Did you ever figure out what wood the handle is? Looks kinda oak-ish to me.