Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I want to build a 358-STA tell me what I need to do? >

I want to build a 358-STA tell me what I need to do?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I want to build a 358-STA tell me what I need to do?

Old 12-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I want to build a 358-STA tell me what I need to do?

I want to build a 358-STA (Shooting Times Alaskan) this chartridge is based on the 8mm Remington Magnum. What are the steps I need to take from start to finish to complete this project. I am open to suggestions for gunsmiths. I want someone that will build me a quality firearm & complete it on the date promised.
I have looked on gunsamerica.com for a used 358-STA, the only ones I can find are way out of my price range. I also have been looking at gunshows.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I want to build a 358-STA tell me what I need to do?

Hold on now....this is a wildcat and strictly a custom build....and it's going to be a little costly.

BTW, Winchester did chamber for it in their custom shop...maybe still do...check it out!

Forget about reboring an existing barrel....new barrels are the same price (almost) as rebored barrels.

You need an action.....any of Remingtons long magnum actions will do for this. Remingtons 7MM Rem Mag action is much longer than Winchesters and will actually hold and feed the .358 STA.

Any action currently sporting a .375 H&H, 8MM Rem Mag, 300 WBY mag, .340 WBY Mag, .458 Lott, or any of the long Remington Ultra Mags will do. I recommend you procure a Montana 1999 action for the job. (about $450)

Call your favorite barrel company...Douglas, Shilen, Hart, Lilja, Krieger, Pac-Nor, others and ask for a "FTC" barrel in .358 STA chambering....choose stainless or chrome moly. about ($275)

Get a stock from McMillan or Borden's Rimrock....(about $375) ( A wood stock finished and checkered will be well over $1,000)

Find a metalsmith to fit the action to the barrel...about $100 and blue it another $90...

Glass bed or pillar bed the Barreled action to the stock....about $75

Install scope mounts and a scope....you name the price....and if you want iron sights...add another $100

Ways to save a few bucks:.....Find a used Remington long action magnum....rebarrel it to .358 STA and have it installed on the existing old stock. savings is about $500

Buy your new barrel in stainless so that you don't have to reblue...savings is about $40

It's very unlikely that unless you can do much of the work yourself that the tab will be under $800 and that's not including scope or iron sights.

Anything else?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:44 PM

Hi Wolf killer,

I think another action that can be had simply in action form is the Magnum CZ. It is certainly big enough to contain the cartridge and you may not need to alter the magazine either, (additionally the capacity should probably be about four + one or maybe even five + one. Other than the action the rest of the job could be completed as Vapo stated!

Additionally you can probably have it for less than the Remington action.

Or if you are willing to consider a single shot you might be able to have the Ruger No. 1 built in .358 STA for less than starting with a bolt!

(As an after thought....there are a number of custom/semi-custom manufacturers that will build and chamber in any SAAMI standard cartridge!

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys. I will probable have a gunsmith build this rifle for me on a used Remington action? Keep the information flowing guys I need all the help I can get.
I will be contacting Winchesters custom shop tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Old 02-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Spike

The Remington M700 long action is available from both Sportsman's Guide and Brownell's for half what you will pay for a Montana Rifle Co. long action or a CZ 550 action, about $390.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:05 AM
Spike

Hi wolf killer,

I came across this thread and think i could help you out, my company is is straight jacket armory we do all kinds of gunsmithing and could find somthing that best suits your needs. we can elp with everything from the barrel to the action, to stock choice.

give me a call at 307-677-2562 and i will try to help you find what best suits your needs
Old 03-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

have montana rifles build you one?

I get it if you're set on the 358, but have you considered a .340wby or 375 H&H, or 375wby, those are all based on the same case...
Old 04-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Spike

That is my perspective -- I am set on the 35 caliber. I am a 35 cal. fan.

I am planning on doing this very thing - build a custom rifle in .358 Alaskan (STA).

I purchased a Remington 700 Long action as the foundation, about $400.

Next to investigate barrel companies. I called McGowen barrels and inquired about barrels and coatings. Will investigate other barrel companies too.

The .358 STA article at ballisticstudies.com says a good stock for this cartridge would be a stock of the Remington Sendero platform.