Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Finally ordered the right arrows >

Finally ordered the right arrows

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Finally ordered the right arrows

Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally ordered the right arrows

You guys know I've been trying to decide on arrows for the longbow. Well, I finally broke down and ordered a dozen Goldtip Traditional 3555s. At the same time, I ordered 4 dozen 50 grain weights, 2 dozen 25 grain weights, 2 dozen 10 grain weights, a dozen nock adapters, a weight system wrench and two three packs of 125 grain Magnus Stinger 2 broadheads. I went overboard on the 50 grain weights because while the 3555s are the right spine, they're only 8.6 gpi. With a 29" arrow, that's only 249 grains. To get to 550 grains (10 grains per pound of draw) which is where I'd like to end up... okay, maybe 600 grains, I'll need to add quite a bit of weight. I'm looking forward to putting these together and playing with the weight system.

Nice thing is, I got all of this forright atwhat I would have paid for those two packages of Silver Flames. Thanks for the input you guys gave me a while back.

One quick edit. Hey, Matt/PA.... You know, I didn't think about it until right now, but that arrow/broadhead setup just cost me almost as much as I paid you for that bow.[>:]
Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Finally ordered the right arrows

Sounds good. Let us know how they work out for you.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:58 PM
bigcountry

What arrows was ya shooting?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry,
I started with Easton2217s, which is what the shop owner said I needed, but their spine is around .400, which everyone on here agreed is way too stiff for a 55# @ 28". Then, he sold me some POC shafts (again, what he recommended) that shot pretty decent at first, but as my strength and draw length increased, they weren't stiff enough. I can't remember if he said they were 45-50 or 50-55, but from what I've learned on here and read on the internet, they're too weak. I just know they aren't flying well. Okay. Lesson learned, and I just get what the experts on here recommended from the start. Just ORDER what I really wanted in the first place. Tweaking the arrows with theweight system should be a lot of fun and educational also.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're gonna be amazed at how well a properly spined set of arrows will fly and how much better your shooting will become
Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JimPic

You're gonna be amazed at how well a properly spined set of arrows will fly and how much better your shooting will become
I agree, I have shot marginal spined arrows so many times, and refuse to keep bad arrow flight because thats the arrows I have on hand.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

Just wondering how youhave the correct spine onarrows that you are planning on adding unknown quantities of weight to?Wouldn't adding50+ grains of weight change the numbers a bit? Just thinking because I plan on doing something similar by gettingoverspined arrows a few incheslonger (2 in)then neccessary and am also planning on adding weight/points until I see whats best.Just getting a longbow setup myself and thought the weight really mattered but may be not as much as i think from what seems to be working for you. take care.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

nyorange,
With the Gold tip weight system, I can fine tune the arrow to the bow. Then, if the total weight is 450 grains, and I want an arrow with a 550 grain total weight, I can add 50 grains ofweight to the front and to theback. If identical amounts of weight are added to both ends, the spine will remain the same, but I get an arrow that weighs 550 grains... 10 grains per pound of draw weight, which is where I should have started in the first place in my opinion.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Didn't know they had their own weighting system. Going to definitely do some research. I had no idea what you were doing and it seemed so illogical. Thanks. Also opens up some possibilites regarding those articles about single bevel broadhead penetration. I figured the whole concept was impossible to apply with carbon arrows as you would never reach the 650 grain weight min but maybe not. Thanks again.