Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 5gn difference between BH and field points.. >

5gn difference between BH and field points..

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

5gn difference between BH and field points..

Old 04-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Default 5gn difference between BH and field points..

If my field points are 145gn and magnus 2-blade's are 140gn will I most likely run into trouble when attempting to tune, or no?
If yes, should I go with a 5gn washer behind the broadhead? Also, what size would fit best on a 1916, 5/16 or 11/32?

Thanks Gents,
Dave
Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 5gn difference between BH and field points..

Not to sure on the size you need but it can't hurt to give washers a try. The washers are like a couple dollars at the most from Kustom King archery. They will most likely ship them for free if you call your order in!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

5grs will mean NOTHING.
Many of the bigger traditional braodheads like Snuffers (at least the old ones anyway) could vary around 10grs just from head to head.
I think I saw somewhere that unless it did something drastic to your tune it would be all but impossible to see a difference in very large weight differences. I know I can shoot my 145gr heads and my 200gr heads side by side at 15 yards and I can't see a difference in point of impact although I'm sure some slight variations are going on.

Seriously 5grs means absolutely nothing for what you are doing. I shoot 145gr field points from my recurve and switch to 150gr Snuffers and they hit the same place with the same flight.

don't bother trying to match them exactly unless it's going to just ruin your day if you don't.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM

That's what I was hoping to hear.
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

5grs will mean NOTHING.
Many of the bigger traditional braodheads like Snuffers (at least the old ones anyway) could vary around 10grs just from head to head.
I think I saw somewhere that unless it did something drastic to your tune it would be all but impossible to see a difference in very large weight differences. I know I can shoot my 145gr heads and my 200gr heads side by side at 15 yards and I can't see a difference in point of impact although I'm sure some slight variations are going on.

Seriously 5grs means absolutely nothing for what you are doing. I shoot 145gr field points from my recurve and switch to 150gr Snuffers and they hit the same place with the same flight.

don't bother trying to match them exactly unless it's going to just ruin your day if you don't.
Good post Matt!! Well said.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 AM
bigcountry

I bet the delta wieght between you field points are more than 5gr.

I just got in some 190gr simmons interceptors and wieghted them and all were between 195gr and 202gr.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I was looking at some BH's that were 135gr. My FP's are 125gr. That's good to know.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
bigcountry

Only way one can tell is to BH tune. If your BH hit way left, then too light, and way right, your too heavy.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 PM

Well I got the broadheads and points in. The FPs weigh 146gn each and the broadheads weigh in at 144gn so it turns out to only be a 2gn difference. Although I did get a runt...one of my 140gn BHs(according to the box) is a 119gn..anorexic broadhead =\
Luckily the sign up time for the local club is Monday..so next week sometime I can sling my first arrow and stop trying this 'archery on paper' stuff.
Thanks again for the replies/help, though.

Regards,
Dave