Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Field Points

Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 PM

Default Field Points

I am curious as to how you folks are keeping your field points on your wood arrows. I have lost numerous field points in my target upon pulling the arrow out. The target i am using came from an indoor target range when they purchased new bundle targets. I use the dark hotmelt w/torch and melt it on the arrow heat up field point with pliers holding point over flame, slip point onto arrow, push point on and still having problems, thanks for any advice!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:31 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Field Points

I use alcohol and Q-Tip to clean out the inside first of the tip. I have changed over to Ferr-Tite. Basically heat it up until it almost melts and swipe some on the POC taper. I then heat up the tip and put it on turning several times. I used to use a glue gun and some sticks I got on 3Rivers. I never lost any unless it was cold and in 3D targets. I like the Ferr-Tite way better. I loathe glue guns.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I clean the inside with acetone to get the cutting oils out, then rough up the inside with sandpaper. My favorite glue is from Kusom King, not Fer-L-Tite but another hot-melt they sell.

Chad
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 PM

I was having the same problem. Never resolved it with the Morrell target I was using which pulled off the field points. They would come out easily and catch on the woven fabric covering the target.

The field points are larger in diameter than the arrow shaft. I tried regluing new points but it never worked.

Finally since I live on a ranch, I just got two hay bales and used a strap tightener to cinch them up as solid as possible. Never lost another field point.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have a hot melt bought from 3 Rivers I think, it comes in inch and half to two inch round chunk. but the best part is it doesn't get hard and brittle like the ferrel tite.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

INstead of sandpaper, I use a brass brush to clean/scuff the inside of the tip (like a gun cleaning brush), I alos use acetone.