Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field points to Broadheads... >

Field points to Broadheads...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field points to Broadheads...

Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Field points to Broadheads...

I have seen this question asked before on a few other forums, so I apologize in advance. It just seems there are so many things people say its hard to keep track of it all.

I shoot a PSE Bruin, 28 inch draw 60 lbs. I have been practicing all summer with 100 grain field points and I group well out to 30 yards. Now that there is only a couple weeks until opening Archery I wanted to try broadheads.
My understanding was just to practice with the grain FP you BH will be, then when it comes close to season, take a few shots with BH and fine tune your sights to them. Shooting the same grain FP should put you pretty close to your BH...

So far I have tried 3 types of Broadheads, with my pin configuration Ive been using for FP.

G5 Montec 100 grain - about 4 inches left and 2 inches low
Thunderhead 100 grain - about 9 inches left and 12 inches low
Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain - about 4 inches left and 2 inches low

All shots taken at 20 yards....I even tried using different shafts (of the same kind) on the same BH to eliminate the chance of shooting a bad shaft.

I dont care what broadhead I use, as long as it effieciently will kill game... but my question is are the BH normally this much off from the same grain FP?

If so, do I simply adjust my sights to whichever BH is closest to FP and shut up about it? Or is somthing else wrong? I dont have any problems consistently grouping FP, and my bow was just taken to the Archery shop last week and "everything looks good".

I have heard certain heads shoot better out of certain bows... if this is the case any reccomendations on a PSE Bruin? I realize there are different opinions and everyone thinks there way is right...any help will be appreciated!!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:34 PM

Default RE: Field points to Broadheads...

i was in your same spot sunday when i switched to bh. I switched to my muzzy s and was 5 inches right, got everything switched to correct that and a buddy said try these. went back to field points shot and shot his tip on my arrows and about split my fp arrow. switched everything back and tried it again same results. long story short i dont really like mechanical bh but i am switching to g5 tekan 2. bit pricey but worth it. i m shooting pse firestorm lite
Old 09-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Field points to Broadheads...

I wouldnt just sight in for the broadheads, you need to do some fine tuning to bring your field point and broadhead groups together. Download Easton's Tuning Guide from this link: http://home.att.net/~sajackson/tuning_guide.pdf

There is a section on tuning broadheads. There's a great graphic that will show you what you need to do on page 11