Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Considering traditional bow. >

Considering traditional bow.

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Considering traditional bow.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Considering traditional bow.

I am reading each post. I know it will be a challenge for sure for a while. I have the spring,summer anetc.

I am left handed, have not made my mind up on long or recurve whatare the pros an cons that are in concretesoto speak without a debate. I figure on 45 or 50lbs. I do have a proshop to go to that has these bows. I just wanted to do some research before I go there.Thanks for the help ahead of time.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Banned

ahhh a lefty !

http://cgi.ebay.com/Horne-Ridgerunner-One-Piece-RH-Recurve_W0QQitemZ180203006334QQihZ008QQcategoryZ20 839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hornes are nice - send the guy an offer if this one don't sell

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=020785#000009

thats a Black Widow, very nice, pricey

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=020420;p=1

there's a Hummingbird thats going to be a SWEET bow -

3 more options for you.

picking a recurve/longbow isn't like compounds - IMO. You can buy a bow thats 63# @ 29" and it will "fit" your 27" draw and be about 58-59#'s in weight. you'll not know how "shootable" a bow is or can be until you well, shoot it ! I've bought/sold/traded probably 150 bows or more. Why ? because I wanted to know what "fit" me and truth is I can shoot about any bow out there. the ones I like however are the hybrid longbows and recurve. The traditional D style longbows I don't like. I don't like one piece bows for the most part = just a prefernce of mine.

Starting out, I would suggest buying a nice bow, like one of the aboves, carbons, a nice glove, and go shoot. Yep, its that easy. sign up to www.tradgang.com and ask questions there too, search their archives - or here, or the leatherwall ...... a lot of good sources out there.

its easy to do, but very difficult to master
Old 01-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ithink aluminum arrows would be fine, I guess.
For your first round of arrows, I would use aluminums. I still use them except for the occasional wood arrow. Maybe get some new gamegetters. Chances are you will be missing the target on occasion when starting out. I know that I don't feel as bad when I miss with $5 arrow compared to a $20 arrow. Heck thats one of the reasons that I sold my carbon Grizzly Sticks, I wastoo afraid of missing - still. [:@]

If you do miss with the gamegetter, check for any fractures and spin them, even with a little wobble, I'd still use them when starting out.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well since its been posted or at least the cassifieds have.

I suggest you go to www.tradgang.com and poke around there. They guys there are all Trad shooters and know a ton. Lots and lots of good info there. I'm not saying this isn't a good place too just there is a more active trad board there. And they are good people to boot.

One warning though. Trad shooting it addictive. So is building your own. Consider yourself warned!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

oops I see Big Duane beat me to it. Well then I second what he said.

Take your time starting out shooting. Get close and shoot. 5 -10 yards max. If you miss the target get closer. Shoot untill you get tired or shakey and take a break. After getting better close move back. By better I mean your form. Forget hitting the bulls eye etc. Practice dooing everything the same. If you spend time on your form at first it will pay off later.

Most of all have fun at it.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everybody, I have questions but do not know what to ask, if anyone has anything else to contribute feel free. I will be reading it.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I can add much, but I've been shooting trad bows for a few years now. Started off a a kid back in the mid 1950s.
First you need a bow you can draw & hold comfortably! If it's too heavy a pull or feels like a club in your hand, you're going to develop some nasty - hard to break - bad habits!
Second, you need some arrows spined for the bow you choose. Not always easy to find that match, but I'm finding carbons are a bit more "forgiving" than wood or aluminum. I now use the high priced "grizzly stiks" previously mentioned. The full length taper also makes them have a bit more tolerance of slightly improper spine and/or poor release when shooting. I bought a dozen bare shafts a couple years ago and still have 8 left. The missing ones were lost - not broken! They are very tough!
One other comment I feel I need to throw in. I see the TradGang site mentioned. If you go there be very careful of any trades, purchases, or business dealings. I went there a few years ago. They preach honesty & truthfulness, but in 3 trades/purchases I got badlyburned 2 times! On one I got into a discussion of how I got rooked and got the link deleted & I gotthreatened with being banned from the forum! They didn't need to ban me - I'll never go back! I had to have my attorney threaten one member who took my money to build me a bow and then never built it with a law suit to get a refund. He promised it within two months and then when he got the letter from my attorney over a year later called me and asked if I still wanted the bow, or if I wanted my money back! [:@]Not saying there aren't some guys & gals there that know traditional archery, just saying there might be a few predators looking for easy pickin's where trusting people gather.

Get a bow that feels good and practice every day! Don't be concerned with great accuracy at first be concerned with good arrow flight! If the arrow isn't flying good (fishtailing, porpoising, etc.) something is wrong with the arrows, your bow (nocking point too high or low for example), or your release (such as not holding you anchor point and not following through).
Get the bow, get some arrows (the best you can afford), and start shooting! Then come back and ask questions when things aren't going like you think they should.
As I said, I've been flinging arrows for about 50 years now, and I think as soon as I can get a little more practice and a couple minor flaws in my shooting form corrected I'll be a fairly good shot!