Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

broadheads

Old 09-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: broadheads

Check here also.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PAstew

What arrows are they and at what length are they cut?

Are you shooting feathers or vanes?
The arrows are Cabelas Stalker Extreme (carbon) 65/80 (9.3 gpi), cut at 28 1/2"

The arrows have feathers at 4" in length.

The field tips are 125 gr. and the broads are 125 gr muzzy 3-blade

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I went out to wally world and bought a $25 target that accepts both broads and feilds. Nothing fancy, but good enought to shoot at.

I got out the broads tonite and took some shots. some of them seemed to veer left and down but not all. I think i have a tendency to pull shots to the left as this happens w/ the fields as well. However, some of the shots the arrow seem to fly eratic at the end and be low and away. One arrow would do this and the next would fly straight and true. Like said, not sure if its me or the arrow. Im just shooting three arrows to not dull all the blades.

Bob, thanks for the link. I went there and thats some technical tuning that im not sure i could figure out.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 AM

The arrows are Cabelas Stalker Extreme (carbon) 65/80 (9.3 gpi), cut at 28 1/2"

The arrows have feathers at 4" in length.

The field tips are 125 gr. and the broads are 125 gr muzzy 3-blade
I'd have to say those arrows are way over spined for your bow.

Tuning isn't as hard as you may think, strip the feathers off one of the arrows. Shoot it bare saft with the 125 grain field point from 15 yards. Never with a broadhead. I think you'll get a hard nock kick to the right and the arrow will drop left. If you are a righty. Reverse if lefty. If this happens, the arrows are over spined. You will be able to weaken them by adding a lot of grain weight up front. Either by increasing the point weight or using a 50 or 100 grain brass insert. Remember that carbon and aluminum arrows are spined for compounds, not traditional bows. That 65/80 cut to 28 1/2 is spined close to 90#'s or more. Next time you get arrows stay with 45/60 cut to 28 or 29. They will be closer to your bows specs.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always been a big believer ofwhen your getting ready for your archery season you should shoot your arrows with the broadheads your using so you know how there flying. I don't care what anyone says broadheads do fly different then field tips, its just a good habit to get into and then there is no second guessing on your part when your out hunting. Its a good idea also to shoot with all of your hunting clothing on to that you will be wearing while your hunting too! Shoot from a stand at home if you can too. Good luck!