Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

broadheads

Old 09-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default broadheads

Do broadheads throw the arrows off that much?

Ive got muzzys to shoot w/ and Ive never shot the arrows w/ the bheads. (dont have a target for them)
Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: broadheads

If your arrows are well tuned to your bow, it shouldn't be a problem. If they aren't well tuned, or are even borderline, broadheads can amplify the problem.

Find a sand pile, a cheap broadhead target, a big chunk of foam, etc. When you are shooting at an animal is no time to find out your aren't getting good broadhead flight.

Chad
Old 09-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I generally practice from a ladder leaning against a tree in my yard. the grouund is a safe backstop, and the solid green background helps highlight the arrow flight, helping with tuning.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Broadheads should fly the same as field points, as long as your set up is tuned properly.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you shooting the Muzzy's from your Impala? If so what is your draw weight? You may want to consider a cut on contact head for better penetration. JMHO.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the bow is tuned, and your shooting form is consistant, then the broadheads shoot very similar to field points.

But with me anyway, there is a mental thing going on, and I need to practice with the broadheads. Broadheads will also amplify any form problems.

I'll beusing Muzzys this yearalso for whitetails.

Bob
Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 AM

It is true that your arrows should fly well with broadheads if all is well. However, If you are using screw in heads with carbon or aluminum, you will need to spin check them to see if they are planning incorrectly. If you find the head wobbling, you will need to re-align the insert to get a stable spin. Otherwise, the will plane differently than the fletchings and shoot irracticaly. The same holds true for glue on heads.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Are you shooting the Muzzy's from your Impala? If so what is your draw weight? Yes. The draw wt is 50#

I am shooting cabelas carbons. The inserts are glued in.

I guess too Im absolutely stupid when it comes to this archery thing. Why? How does one tune the bow/arrow setup? I got into this with no assistance and you all are talking WAY over my head. I guess I need more help.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

For more help with the trad bow I would highly advise that you read the book,"Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson. It really helped me out quite a bit.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:23 AM

ORIGINAL: okietreedude

Are you shooting the Muzzy's from your Impala? If so what is your draw weight? Yes. The draw wt is 50#

I am shooting cabelas carbons. The inserts are glued in.

I guess too Im absolutely stupid when it comes to this archery thing. Why? How does one tune the bow/arrow setup? I got into this with no assistance and you all are talking WAY over my head. I guess I need more help.
okie,

Tuning a stickbow is the same concept for tuning your compound. 1st, make sure you have the optimal brace height for the bow. Between 7 1/2 and 8". You'll be able to determine that by the way the bow shoots at different brace heights. Low it may be too noisey with increased hand shock.Anincorrect nock position will showin irratic arrow flight.
If your arrows are not properly spined,they will kick left for under and right for over spined. What arrows are they and at what length are they cut? A mistake most shooters and archery stores make when not familiar with trad gear is using the same arrow charts for a trad bow as they use for compounds. If you are drawing 50#'s, are your arrows 50/70's? If so, they are way over spined for your bow. Carbons are usually spined10 to 15 #'s more for trad gear than they are for compounds. A GT 35/55 at 29" with 150 grain tip or a 1916 at 28 1/2 with a 125 would be the two arrows best foryour bow.Are you shooting feathers or vanes? I've seen a lot of guy's try to shoot vanes off a shelf plate and think it will work. Not so. Trad bows need feathers to clear the shelf properly. Are the broadheads wobbling? You can heat the tip and loosen the insert. Then spin them until they are perfect. Mark the position of the blades and re-glue.

If the arrows are too stiff, you will need to ad weight up front using weighted inserts. That will weaken the arrow spine so it will fly better for you.

Quick Reply: broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.