Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake buying.. >

I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake buying..

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake buying..

Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 AM

Default RE: I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake buying..

ORIGINAL: BKE

He recommended the Carbon express "heritage". If I read the charts right I have: arrow @11gr per in. (28in), nock @ 8.7 andinsert @ 11, FP @ 150 which I figure to be 488.7.
At 45#'s the heritage 150's at 28" bop will be way over spined. You'll need to put a lot of weight up front for them to fly well. I would suggest 1916's at 28" bop with 150 up front.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

An that is too heavy for the bow will almost always fly with a nose down attitude.
Just for the record. Arrows do NOT fly with a nose down attitude. Any cursory look at the laws of physics and aeronautics will prove that's an old wive's tale. Arrow weight only affects speed and trajectory, not the attitude of the arrow in flight. You can shoot a 900 grain arrow from a 30 pound bow and, if the arrow is properly spined with sufficient FOC and the bow tuned correctly, it will fly straight. Might not fly fast or far, and it might have a trajectory like a bowling ball, but flight will be perfect.

The tail end of the arrow can do nothing except follow the point, as long as FOC is high enough. Crosswind will often blow the tail left or right of the point, but the arrow will NEVER fly nose down.

It CAN be launched nose down, if the bow's nock point is too high. It can also be launched nose up if the nock point is too low. Once it has cleared the bow and travelled a distance downrange though, it will stabilize into straight flight. How far it has to travel before it stabilizes is governed entirely by how far out of whack the nock point is.

Tune the bow. Give the arrow enough FOC. Have it spined correctly. Do those three things and you will never see the arrow give anything less than perfect flight.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:03 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PAstew

At 45#'s the heritage 150's at 28" bop will be way over spined. You'll need to put a lot of weight up front for them to fly well. I would suggest 1916's at 28" bop with 150 up front.
I should have been more specific sorry. I'm shooting the 250's (which is where I got the 11gr. per inch from in my second post). Does that sound like a better choice in regards to proper spine?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

youll need an arrow spineanywhere between .500-.650...theshaft you choose depends on the weight of the head you want to shoot and the length that your arrows are cut to. i shoot a 29 inch easton Legacy 2016 with a 175 grain tip. and Easton superslams 2114 with 175 grain tips and they both fly pretty straitunfletched

i think the 2016 is a .560 spine and the superslam 2114 is .530 spine or so im not exactlysure but i now they are spined over .500so those figures are close.

I shoot a recuve at 48# at my 27-27.5 inch draw....my total arrow weight is in the mid 500 grain range

i cant tell you what the gold tips are spined at because i cant find the arrow your talking about...

i seen something calld the GoldTip Traditional they come in .300 .400 .500 spines.

the .500 spine is what you want to even get close. Tip weight alone only has a small effect on spine with my experience. what im saying is Getas close as you can with a 125 grain tip and a1-2inchlonger than you needarrowand then fine tune the spine with your tip weight and arrow length.

heres the arrow im talking about the red text is the arrow that will get you close.

[align=left]Graphite XT Traditional Wood Grain Carbon Arrows [/align]The new Traditional wood grain finish of Traditional XT shaft was designed for the traditional while delivering the durability of modern graphite shafts. Gold Tip XT arrows shafts are a designed for the archer who is looking for the best quality hunting shaft. The Traditional Camo pattern is molded into the shaft so you don't need to worry about it wearing off. The Traditional XT arrow is available in a straightness tolerances at +/-.003. Each dozen XT Traditional arrows are hand weighed to within +/- 2 grains and are finished and are finished using state-of-the-art ultrasonic finishing system giving them a smoother, cleaner finish. Traditional arrows come standard with new GT Series Nocks and Inserts.
Please Note! These shafts have a larger Diameter, are heavier and have a different spine than the black or camo shafts.

Straightness............+/-0.003 inches Length
Inside Diameter.......Shaft.......0.246 inches
Outside Diameter....Shaft 3555....0.299 inches.....Spine....500....Shaft Weight......8.6 Gr/inch....Length....30"

Outside Diameter....Shaft 5575....0.302 inches.....Spine....400....Shaft Weight......9.3 Gr/inch....Length....32"
Outside Diameter....Shaft 7595....0.314 inches.....Spine....300....Shaft Weight......11.0 Gr/inch....Length....32"
Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

wait a minute i just realized Heritage are carbon express not gold tips

either way i cant find info on what the spine is for that arrow.... the 150 is the most flexible in that line....i dont understand why they lable the arrows as a 150....whats 150 it doesnt make any sense.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

WEll, I think 10 grains, per poundage of draw is right. I would highly recommend going with a heavy arrow, yes it is slower, but you will retain more energy in flight, which means more penetration. Any guy knows more penetration is far better than speed!
Old 09-22-2007, 01:21 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fishstix
Any guy knows more penetration is far better than speed!
Aha! Finally, a reply that I understand and am familiar with (don't have to do a googlesearch on it) .
Old 09-22-2007, 04:50 PM

My girl, Samantha, shoots 41 and 44lb longbows. She shot 45lb recurves before that and shoots clean through hogs and every other type of critter. While I still own a 70 pounder, as I grow older my draw weights have come down. I have a number of bows in the 45 pound to 50 pound range. When bowhunting first cut it's teeth, target weight bows as low as 35 pounds were used. Now I am not saying that we should go backward, but I know of a number of bowhunters, in states where it is legal, who kill several deer a year with light weight tackle. It is arrow placement that gets the job done. Samantha, a skilled hunter, perfers Magnus two blade heads. She likes cut on contact as they enhance and maximize the lighter bow weight. She has fallen in love with the Stika Grizzly Stiks that I bought her, they are deadly out of her "Black Rhino" longbows, and front to back tappered shafts are the best .....