Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Did I make a mistake?

Old 01-03-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Did I make a mistake?

First off since im new here id like to say whats up to everyone.
Now my story, I just got a H&R ultra slugger 20ga and have been dieing to try it out. So im sitting in my stand and I hear something to the side of me moving around for about 45 min. Well 5 min till pitch black a doe walks out on my pile and I let her have it. Now im not sure if that was a buck to the side of me or not and I didnt see anything run or hear anything after the shot but its the possibility that bothers me. If it was a buck, is there any chance he will be back any time soon? (permit doe and 1 buck till the end of Jan.) Im leaving for vacation Friday so I can leave my spot alone for 2 weeks. Is that enough?

BTW the 20ga supprised the hell outa me through and through at 50 yards
Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did I make a mistake?

Let me say that the 20ga is deadly on deer, will do just a good enough job if not better then the 12ga.

How can you make a mistake? You took the doe cleanly, you still dont know if it was a deer or something else still there, you heard to running after the shot. Go away, and relax, go hunt when you come back.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Odds are that it was her last years yearling.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

First, welcome. If I sat for 45 min. hearing but not seeing something close by, I'd start thinking it was a squirrel or a raccoon or something. Especially if I didn't hear anything else leave after the shot. Besides, in 2 weeks, you'll have a whole new batch of deer to choose from.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:48 AM

Most likely last years yearling-let us know what happens when you go back.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:44 PM

Thanks guys, ill let everyone know what happens when I get back.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Odds are that it was her last years yearling.
my first thought also..
Old 01-08-2005, 07:06 AM

Welcome. First, you did not make a mistake. You took a clean and safe shot. Congrats. Second, who knows what was off to your side out of sight. That's part of the fun and mystique of going hunting...the events leading up to a possible shot and the adreneline rush, etc. Keep hunting the same spot or somewhere nearby in the coming weeks and see what happens.

If today's rain let's up, I will head out this afternoon for a few hours of enjoyment and fresh air.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all Welcome! The bottom line here is you did not have the luxury to wait and finally determine if there was another deer nearby. The doe stepped out and you took her cleanly. The other option would have been to let her walk and probably never find out what other possibilities may have existed. Obviously you wanted a deer and you got one. Had you decided to shoot bucks only, you would have made a different decision. Enjoy what you did, enjoy the venison and don't question your decison (as we somewhat do) while deer hunting. When I'm hunting and I see a legal deer I can shoot, I make the decison immediately if I want to shoot or let that deer walk....and I live with that decision. You done good!