Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

new to traditional

Old 01-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default new to traditional

I just got my first recurve the other day and was wondering besides practice what are some things you can do to be more acurate?What are the first things a new recurve shooter should know? Are there any special things i need to do to upkeep the bow? The bow is a old benperson stallion that is 50# at 28".Any infoyouall could give would be greatly appricated.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:31 PM

Default RE: new to traditional

Welcome to a great sport, mac.

I would suggest ensuring the bow is tuned properly with proper spined arrows. Make sure you have the correct brace height, start it at 8" brace height,and string nock height. 1/2" above level with the shelf. Here's a web site that can help.

http://www.bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

Next, don't worry about hitting a bullseye right away. Shoot a bag target from 10 yards to improve your shooting form. There are several books and video'sto help show different styles of shooting. You can purchase them at 3 rivers archery.com.

When you have become proficiant with your form, then work on hitting the smallest part of your target. It takes some time so be patient.

Caring for the bow, wax the string after every shoot. Don't leave it in a hot car or attic, especially while braced(strung). Apply a small amount of leather protector to your glove or tab. It helps prolong the life and helps with a smooth release.

Keep shooting and you'll love it. Best of luck.