Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Traditional newbie!!

Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Traditional newbie!!

Hey guys,, New to the trad forum,, but I need some advice.. I have shot a few recurves but never owned one, until now.. I have just bought a Hoyt Gamemaster 55 lb recurve, and am wanting to start a little traditional shooting. I have shot compounds in hunting and competetively for years and have always wanted to play around with a recurve. Now Ive been shooting it for a couple days and have acutally impressed myself with it for my lack of experience. Ive only shot at 10 yards, but am pretty consistent at hitting the 10 ring on my 3-d targets at that range,, probably 3 out of 5,, but im just starting.. Now before I start bad habits,, what king of form should I be shooting,, straight back and upright like a compound ad drawing to an anchor, holding, aiming and releasing?? If so should I shoot sights? Or should I shoot kind of stooped over at the waist with the bow canted? Ive seen people shoot like this, but dont know if it is how I should be trying to learn.. Dont worry, I have no plans of hunting with this bow this fall, but I would like to shoot some 3-d with it since I have a son starting into shooting, and we could shoot from almost the same stake in shoots,, it seems like it would be more fun to him that way.. Any way, sorry for the long post, and please share some advice with me for what I shoutl be doing, and what kind of accuracy should I try to acheive before hunting, and what ranges should I be practicing.. Help me please,, even though the gamemaster might not be considered traditional by you guys,,lol. Its still a recurve.. Thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 06:29 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Traditional newbie!!

What I did is go out and buy like 3 books on it. Bryon Fergonson Become the arrow is the most popular, and pretty good. I also picked up one from Fred Asbell, called instintive shooting I believe. Another one by Wiseman, I believe, called intraduction to traditional archery, its not that good. But reading each of em I learned something.

Your probably going to have to make a decision on if you want to shoot barebow (traditional) or with sights and elevated rest. That will decide your style cant and all that.

Its going to take alot of experimentation. I found for me the hardest part was not the instinctive shooting part or gap shooting, but the release. Some guys got that covered right off the bat from compound shooting.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Definetely get some reading in; Byron's book is very good. Also check out his video. I also like Hittem like Howard video and Welsch's second video. Here is a clip that may also help you out (Rod Jenkin's)

http://www.tradgang.com/upload/jc/apogeevideo1.mpg

Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Get the Video / DVD "Hitting'em Like Howard Hill" by John Schulz.

It's the best instruction I've ever seen.