Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Time to go Trad

Old 07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Time to go Trad

Well, as of today I'm going traditional. I drew a tag for a great recurve only hunt in McAlister, OK (first weekend in november). I'm really new to the whole idea. I need to buy a bow ASAP (probably 55-60# at 28-29" draw). I have some GT ultralight pro 400's, would these be sufficient? I plan on shooting Magnus Stinger broadheads. Anyway, like I said I'm pretty new so any advice or anyting you all have to offer... I'm wide open to it. Thank you
Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 AM

Default RE: Time to go Trad

how long until that hunt ? have you ever shot trad before ?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't go higher than 55# on your first trad bow , regardless of what weight compound you shoot now it isn't the same . Could you even become proficient with it in that short a time ? I started with a loaner 35# and shot for a year before I went up to a 50# of my own , and shot that for 6 months before trying to hunt with it . If you add a sighting system you might be able to trim that back a bit , but don't expect the consistancy that you've become accustomed to with your compound . Form will be critical , you should find another trad shooter to coach you before you think about hunting . I had to do the self taught route and I don't reccomend it . Your arrows don't sound like they're properly spined for the bow you're thinking of , buy some that are .
Old 07-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I've shot traditional setups before, I've just never hunted with one (and don't have one of my own). I have plenty of time to become proficient, I shoot every day (literally), and have a couple of guys that areaccomplished traditional shooters that I shoot with. And, If for some reason I'm not proficient or I don't feel comfortable I simply won't hunt and I'll video or take pictures.

Anyway, I guess I should have been more specific, I'm more interested in whatbows are most popular and why? And what do you like/dislike about your setup?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:54 AM

Its good to know you have both a background and friends to help you. Most people would be a lot better off if they had someone helping them when they got started.

Have you decieded what you are looking for in a bow? (I.E- Recurve v. Longbow, short v. long, T/D v. One Piece, Sight v. Instinctive,etc.)

As for weight-45# is comfortable for most people, and its plenty to get through any deer in N.A

Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:17 AM

You Know what they say, once you go Trad you Won't go back,LOL
Old 07-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alex, that may not be a problem. As long as I get to be in the woods, I'm happy.

As far as what I'm looking for, I want a recurve and I will be shooting instinctive (sights aren't allowed and I enjoy open sights). I'm doing research right now to find the disadv/adv of one piecevs. take down as well as the short vs. long bows. Any insight in these areas would be great.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
bigcountry

Longer smoother, shorter less forgiving but more manoverable. To short and may get alot of arrow pinch. I just got another trad bow, a 64" recurve real light draw, and its a blast.

As far as you arrows, really depends. Maybe little light, but depends on your bow you decide.

I have been at it for 6 months now. And one thing I am happy about is I was humble and listened to these guys. 60# and you will be overbowed most likely. Not something you want to learn on. I started at 50# and should have went lighter to 45#. I am still not proficient enough. I ahve real good days and real bad days. We all here shoot close to everyday. I want to consistently hit 4 arrow out of 5 in kill zone from 5 yards to 25 yards before taking this years.

For high dollar take a look at
Blackwidow
Zipper (my fav. takedown)
Fred Bear Grizzly (most affordable I think)
Martin Dreamcatcher (favorite one piece)
Martin Rebel (another affordable bow)

Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome,

Do you know what your draw length is with traditional? It is usuallly 1-2 inches shorter then a compound. I'd also advise you to go with 40-45 pounds at your draw length. Get Byron's book and video. I'd advise a gap style (or secondary vision) aiming method at first. Pure instinctive is very hard to master.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I went and shot a few bows on my lunch. I shot 45# and 50# Martin recurve at lunch. The 50# bow felt good and it was smoother (and longer) than the other. But I think I'll take you all's advice and go with the 45#, I don't want to develop bad habits. Oh and I won't shoot anything over 20 yards... period.

bobco- thanks for the book advice

Quick Reply: Time to go Trad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.