Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditional .50 or .54 >

Traditional .50 or .54

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditional .50 or .54

Old 12-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Spike

Default Traditional .50 or .54

Hi all, first post on here(been lurking for a bit) and I have a question........imagine that[8D]

I'm going to buy a Cabela'sSporterized Hawken's this Thursday and haven't really decided on a caliber. I'm in KS and we aren't allowed scopes during ML season, there is a good chance I'll elk hunting within the next 5 years but only once or twice. I was leaning toward a 54 but the available accessories for the 50 sure make it desirable...............is the 54 so ballistically superior to the 50 that it would warrant owning a rifle with fewer options???

Owner an Encore 50 a few years back but couldn't get attached to the butt ugly thing(sorry, MHO). I've got the bug again but this time will get something I find eye appealing.

Enjoy the site, and thanks in advance for the info.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditional .50 or .54

If traditional is what you want to use and simply because there is the chance you might elk hunt, definitely go with the .54 caliber. While you can not get supplies locally, there are on line stores loaded with them. In the traditional field, you will be shooting roundball and conical for 99% of your shooting, so those are easy to get on line and also many times you can get some excellent deals on them..

Also when deer hunting, I think you will really be glad you have the .54 caliber when a deer is standing out there at say 90 yards and you want to pop him with a roundball. The .54 caliber is just superior in knock down in all my years of shooting them. Granted I shoot and hunt with .50 caliber and they do fine, but when it is time to make meat, the .54 caliber alway goes. Now of course the .58 caliber is my favorite roundball rifle..

The .54 caliber really is superior to the .50 when you start shooting roundball and have any distance under you. Those Cabela's .54 caliber Hawkins are nice rifles. My friend hunts with one and that this is an excellent shooter.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

center12

Here is my thought, If you are going to shoot it traditionally - round ball conicals - go with the 54 for sure... If you are going to shoot sabots, if they are legal where you are hunting then go with the 50 - many more options available.

When you get it, I really hope you enjoy shooting a ML as much as a lot of the rest of us do, weather you choose to real BP, a Sub and what ever projectile you choose.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Spike

I live 30 minutes from a Cabela's so finding something to poke down the barrel won't be hard. It's just the wide variety of bullets that are available for the 50 that make it appealing.

Both calibers have 1 to 48 twists, will there be any noticable difference in the calibers ability to stabilize conicals? I guess with the 54 and shooting under 100 yards there's really not much need for a conical on deer sized game. That ball is a chunk!!

Guess I'm back to a 54, it'll be interesting to see what I walk out with on Thursday(this is the 3rd time I'v changed my mind,hehe).

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with the 54.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: center12

I live 30 minutes from a Cabela's so finding something to poke down the barrel won't be hard. It's just the wide variety of bullets that are available for the 50 that make it appealing.

Both calibers have 1 to 48 twists, will there be any noticable difference in the calibers ability to stabilize conicals? I guess with the 54 and shooting under 100 yards there's really not much need for a conical on deer sized game. That ball is a chunk!!

Guess I'm back to a 54, it'll be interesting to see what I walk out with on Thursday(this is the 3rd time I'v changed my mind,hehe).

Thanks.
One thing to keep in mind, with the Cabela's Hawkins you can always get a Green Mountain Drop in Barrel and shoot .50 caliber sabots barrel, or roundball barrels to match your hunting desire...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Spike

Now there's a plan!!!

Called Cabela's a bit ago and they have 2 54's in stock, anything to look for when choosing, other than the wood grain in the grip and general fit and finish??

I wonder if they make a Green Mountain drop-in in 32 or 36, would love to have one of those while 'yote calling. Smoke'n a dog

Your knowledge is appreciated gentlemen.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now there's a plan!!!

Called Cabela's a bit ago and they have 2 54's in stock, anything to look for when choosing, other than the wood grain in the grip and general fit and finish??

I wonder if they make a Green Mountain drop-in in 32 or 36, would love to have one of those while 'yote calling. Smoke'n a dog

They have alot of calibers. Here is the link. The 15/16" are for the Hawken. Good luck! You can get barrels with a slow twist for round balls or fast twist for sabots.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Now there's a plan!!!

#910100 is a .32 caliber that will fit the Cabela's Hawkins
#910140 is a .40 caliber that will fit the Cabela's Hawkins..

the .40 caliber is a much better choice because you get better range, more knock down and the .32 calibers fowl out so bad because of the small bore. Also the .40 caliber rifle is legal in some states for deer hunting.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry here is the link. You want the 15/16.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=HawkenRenegadeStyleRifles

Quick Reply: Traditional .50 or .54

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.