Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Newbie to traditional archery.  Have a few Questions. >

Newbie to traditional archery. Have a few Questions.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Newbie to traditional archery. Have a few Questions.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Newbie to traditional archery. Have a few Questions.

Haven't paid much attention to this forum since I joined this sight but I've already seen some good info on here. First of all I've been bowhunting for about 7 years now with a compound so I'm not new to bowhunting. I have an old Red Wing Hunter 42lb recurve that was my dad's from 8th grade. I have the proper arrows, string, everything for it and I've toyed around with shooting it the past two summers. Last year I got to where I could get a moderately good group at 20 yards but not good enough for me to want to take it hunting. I want to be confident in my shot. Now, I'm a good shot with a compound but I would love to get better with the recurve....I love shooting it!! Can you all give me any advice with getting better (other than practice....already know it's going to take a lot of practice!)??

Also, I'm sure there's a good book or two on how to shoot a recurve. What would you recommend? Something by Byron Ferguson? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:05 PM

Default RE: Newbie to traditional archery. Have a few Questions.

Welcome aboard...... I'm just getting started myself... I bought my first longbow back in April... I've read lots of books..... Become the Arrow by Byron Ferguson was great and a must read....I would suggest visiting several traditional websites and forums... You can learn alot is a month or two of solid research!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:18 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Not just practice, but proper practice. If you practice bad habits or inconsistent form, you won't be helping yourself any. I like Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow" and Ricky Welch's Instructional Video, Volume II. Don't be afraid to experiment some, and if someone tells you their way is the ONLY way to shoot, most likely you need to find someone else to talk to.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

I understand the practice bit that you're talking about. I guess I was just looking for a more solid method b/c honestly I don't know what exactly to do. I'll most likely buy the book and video (I'm a visual learner at times).

Everybody has there own techniques. What I've always done with bowhunting and clay target shooting is take bits and pieces from different people. I've always been the type of person that adapts and do whatfeels comfortable and gets the job done.

Thanks for the tips! Anybody else have some good tips for a beginner???
Old 06-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome!

Definetely get Byron's book and video. What I would add would be to practice and work on form BEFORE working on accuracy. But only work on one aspectof form at a time.

Some things to work on off the top of my head would be:
Stance
release
follow through
back tension (never stop pulling even when anchored)
grip
anchor
keeping everying in line with the arrow (shoulders, bow arm, release arm)
tensionless release hand
eye on target till arrow hits (don't ever break concentration on the target, if you do letup)

I'm sure others can think of more.

One other thing I would add would be not to rush or press anything. Be patient andthings will come at their own pace.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:52 AM

Ricky Welch's Instructional Video, Volume II
I hope it is much better than Volume I [:@] If so please let me know, I'm sure I'll buy it too
Old 06-15-2005, 08:21 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Lots of great advice from Bob. I'll add that consistency is the key--when your form is consistent, you can figure out what you need to do to adjust and get your arrows where you want them.

DC, I never saw Volume I--I was told to skip it because II was so much better.

Chad
Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like my form is a little wrong, as I expected, b/c when I've shot in the past my arrows seem to be a little random at times. But then again, I've never been sure about what the proper form is and how to go about shooting with a recurve.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

GSP, check this out,scrol down to the 10 steps:

http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com.au/the10.htm#Stance

also this:
http://www.skookumarchers.com/Archery%20Library/Basic%20Archery%20Shooting%20Technique.htm

and this:

http://www.hunting101.com/gunsandbows/bows/bowhunting%20equipment%20and%20skills008.htm
Old 06-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the links, those were great!

I guess it's not really my form that I was having troubles with, but more like how to aim. Is it alright to slightly cant a recurve when aiming/shooting?

I also found something else that might be causing some fliers. I'm pretty sure that I pinch the nock. Never really thought about leaving a gap between the nock and my middle & index finger.

Once again, I appreciate all the advice!!

Quick Reply: Newbie to traditional archery. Have a few Questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.