Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Shot my compound(i know wrong forum but it has to deal with my longbow too) >

Shot my compound(i know wrong forum but it has to deal with my longbow too)

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shot my compound(i know wrong forum but it has to deal with my longbow too)

Old 03-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot my compound(i know wrong forum but it has to deal with my longbow too)

well i shot my compound today after not shooting it the whole winter. ive been shootin my longbow in the basement though. well i can tell theres a lot of differences now from a compound and my longbow. my compound is a lot quieter! i was kinda gettin used to a little bit of noise from my longbow. also, my compound is heavier then the longbow, i was also gettin used to the "lightness" of the longbow. and, theres a lot more hand shock in my longbow then the compound, again kinda was gettin used to it. finally my compound shoots just a little bit faster then the longbow lol.
just thought i'd tell you guys what i found out. i never really noticed it just shootin the longbow before. but even though i found all this out, im not givin up on the stick!!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Default RE: Shot my compound(i know wrong forum but it has to deal with my longbow too)

Okay, I havent owned a compound for a while now, but if I do remember correctly, It was a hell of a lot louder than my longbow, even with all the silenceing stuff (Limbsavers, Stabilizers, Cat-Whiskers).

If you dont have any string silencers, perhaps your brace height is off? That could also contribute to any handshock...

This is just purely speculation from a 16 year old archery addict though...

Glad to see you didnt "Go to the dark side"
Old 03-30-2006, 06:42 PM

Default RE: Shot my compound(i know wrong forum but it has to deal with my longbow too)

My recurve is just as quiet if not more so than my Bowtech Liberty all fancy shmancied up. Of course my aluminums I shoot out of my recurve are about 200 grains heavier.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

my compound is a lot quieter! i was kinda gettin used to a little bit of noise from my longbow. also, my compound is heavier then the longbow,
I think something may be worng. Maybe brace height is off, tuning is wrong, or form is off. Most of my traditional gear is so quiet, that all I can hear is the feathers cutting the air. And not even thatif I'm using parabolic shaped worn in feathers.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree. Compounds can be quieted down a bunch with all the gizmos, but longbows should still be quieter. I'd suggest bumping your brace height up about 1/4 - 1/2" and seeing what that does. Might help with the handshock a bit too. If you've been shooting plain carbon arrows, try adding weight to them, or try wood. Wood arrows, I think, are a lot quieter and more pleasant to shoot than any other arrow.

Another thing, arrows that are overspined are a lot noisier than properly spined arrows. When they're too stiff, they'll make a loud clanking noise as the tail end of the shaft slams into the bow.

A longbow will never be as shock free as a compound due to the compound's greater mass - not to mention all the stabilizers and rubber stuff you can mount on it.

There is no shame in switching around a bit and playing with the wheels some. Heck, I even play around with crossbows when the fit takes me.[8D]

I used to switch back and forth between traditional bows and compounds all the time, at least for tournament shooting. I can count the number of times I've hunted with a fully rigged compound on one hand, and have a few of fingers left over, but tournament shooting is a different critter.

I'd usually carry a recurve, longbow and a couple of different compound setups to a tournament, see who was thereand then decide which class to shoot. In the early-to-mid 80's, if you shot anything but a compound, you usually didn't have any competition, and that wasn't much fun. But I was alwaysready if another traditional guy showed up.

Also, whenever I felt like I was having a form issue with my recurve, I'd shoot the compound to get everything squared away. I'd still be doing that if my shoulder hasn't gotten so bad I can't even hold a compound up for more than a few shotsany more.

Sure made the compound seem easy after shooting the longbow for a while, didn't it.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

they'll make a loud clanking noise as the tail end of the shaft slams into the bow.
Another thing that can create this noise is having a Nock Point Too low. Once again, the arrowmakes contact withthe bow shelf.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:46 AM

Whitecloud I think you need to play with your brace height, when I had that Jet FB longbow ,it did not make a sound, so I think you need to tune it.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the suggestions everyone, ill have to mess with it a bit.