Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New bow and setup >

New bow and setup

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New bow and setup

Old 03-16-2005, 05:16 AM

Default New bow and setup

I have been bow hunting for about 6 months. When I bought my bow I bought it at Bass Pro Shops. They took my draw length, set the peep sight and and give me the correct arrow for my setup. I was able with a friend who hunts to adjust the sights and with practice am able to hit a 3 inch circle at 20 yards. My question does this mean my bow is set up correctly and tuned correctly? I now know that I should have gone to an archery shop to get a bow and help. If the bow is not set up properly will it really tell at longer distances say 30 yards?

bones
Old 03-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New bow and setup

If you are shooting 3" groups at 20 yards all this tells you is that your arrows, without broadheads, group 3" at 20 yards. It tells you nothing about how your arrow is leaving the bow. The straighter an arrow leaves the bow the quicker it recoveres from any flex or misques on your part. This means greater speed retention because the fletching has less work to do to straighten the arrow out. This converts into more retained energy down range as all the arrow's momentum is directly behind the head.

If you have a badly tuned bow and you start screwing on some blades you often have no idea of where they are going to go. If the bow is tuned you can usually assume they will fly where you shot them. Notice I didn't say aim. Many people think they have to see the arrow go so they know where it is going to hit. The best shots you ever make will just "happen" and you'll not see the arrow go. You are new to archery so have a lot to learn. Most times what you need to learn will never come from a guy that just bowhunts. You need to pick up a couple books written by Larry Wise, or Bernie Perrilite. Learn how to shoot good form and tune your equipment and it's possible by the end of the summer you will no longer consider that 30 yards very long.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:40 AM

BGfisher do you think every bow hunter should be able to tune his own bow? If so where do you start? What books by Larry Wise and Bernie Perrilite should I get?

bones
Old 03-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

bones, Core Archery by Larry Wise is a good book for teaching form, albeit a bit technical, which you might not be ready for yet. However, learning to shoot properly from the git-go is better than trying to correct bad form.

One of the better sources for care and tuning is Easton's Maintenance and Tuning Guide. You can download this from www.eastonarchery.com. And the answer is yes. Every bowhunter that cares enough to spend the money and attempt to kill an animal owes it to that animal and themselves to be able to tune their own equipment. Knowing what you equipment is doing, knowing how to tune it, and shooting it properly ius a big confidence builder for when you go hunting. Just knowing where that arrow is going without having to see it is great.

I'll try to explain something. Many people go to a pro-shop to get their bow tuned. A pro-shop cannot tune your bow correctly unless you are the shooter. No two people will shoot your bow the way you do. Slight differences in hand pressure, etc, can make a huge difference in how your equipment performs.. They can maybe help you make adjustments, but you have to shoot the bow. So why not just learn how to do it yourself? Then you'll have an added benefit of confidence, pride and keeping your money in your pocket.