Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 with my setup what would you use..please help >

with my setup what would you use..please help

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

with my setup what would you use..please help

Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 AM

Default with my setup what would you use..please help

i only got a50lb draw weight with a 26 inch beman ics hunter arrow with a whicker biscuit..what would yall suggest ...a feather...vanes....what brand? i was thinkin of some 2 inch blazers but i heard that with my low poundage that blazers would not be best for me....what do yall think.....
Old 07-25-2007, 04:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: with my setup what would you use..please help

Personally I would go with Dura Vane Predators but the Blazers will work fine the WB might eat up the feathers tho
Old 07-25-2007, 05:05 AM

I've been using a WB since they came out and I always use feathers. I've had no problems with the combination. I do make sure the biscuit hole is large enough and I put a drop of glue on the front edege of each feather.

In fact, I think feathers are ideal for use with the WB. With vanes, a tear will affect flight, especially through the biscuit. While using feathers, they seem to never be too damaged to fly properly. I've even wondered if they might fly even better as they become worn. In my opinion, feathers last much longer than vanes while shooting through the WB, and for that matter, through any other rest if you shoot groups.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd run 4" feathers if it were my choice. Like SA said, they'll work with any setup.

I've heard the theory that Blazers won't work so well with lower poundage bows shooting slower speeds and my gut feeling is it might have merit. I've not tested it though so all I can do is guess. The only way to find out for sure is for you to try them with the broadheads you intend to use and see how well they do.

Then there is always plain ol' duravanes.

If you're interested, I ran a calculator to find out an approximate figure for what feathers vs vanes would do with your weight and FOC. Assuuming you use Beman 500's, 4" feathers will yield arrow weight around 334 grains and give an FOC of approx 14%. 4" vanes will yield 351 grains but knock FOC down around 11%, which is still good, just quite not as good. Blazers would be somewhere in between, if you can get them to work.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd use the Bohning Blazers and tip that arrow with a Slick Trick
Old 07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Wasp broadheads are good, just bought some today, gonna test them out.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The slower the arrow flies the MORE stabilization it will need.This would mean that the blazers probably wouldn't be as good as a 4" feather for you.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX
The slower the arrow flies the MORE stabilization it will need.This would mean that the blazers probably wouldn't be as good as a 4" feather for you.
Tfox, I'm not doubting you, just don't remember hearing that before. What physics principle is involved there? I'm also wondering how much less stable an arrow is going 210 fps vs 250 fps. Any additional details would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 PM

Kidd: I have had trouble getting good flight from magnus stingers and blazers from a whisker biscuit. Smaller three bladed broadheads, like Wasp Boss, flew with no problem. To get good flight from my stingers, I'm switching to 4" feathers and a dropaway rest with my new bow.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

I'd use the Bohning Blazers and tip that arrow with a Slick Trick

I would do the same.

Quick Reply: with my setup what would you use..please help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.