Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Yet another backtension question. >

Yet another backtension question.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Yet another backtension question.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Yet another backtension question.

OK, so I've read all the info blodg sent me (thanks btw), and I've been looking at some pictures and a few videos of shooters, and I notice that most of them have the release turned so their knuckles are against their face. Currently, I am shooting with my loop exactly 1/2" past the string. Should I go to a longer loop to avoide any torqueing that I'll have to do to turn my release? Or is this even that important to get back tension?
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yet another backtension question.

I would not make it too short but then again not too long. I hope this helps. Actaully you might need a little extra if you will be torquing the head around. It might take a little while to find an anchor point also. I find that I can pull through the shot a little better if I am roatating the release backwards instead of side to side. If I hold my bow hand out and simulate rotating the release pinky inwards my bow hand moves to the side a little and is harder to hold on the mark. If I rotate in a backwards motion I can hold my bowhand on the mark. Keep practicing with the back tension and you wont be sorry.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

Try your loop in this configuration. It works awesome!!!!!! You can turn your release all you want and it won't torque your string!

Old 02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try your loop in this configuration. It works awesome!!!!!! You can turn your release all you want and it won't torque your string!
I used a style like that 2 years ago, and I couldnt figure out what the benefit to it was. I actually thought the point of a string loop was to get equal pulling above and below the nock?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

I couldnt figure out what the benefit to it was.
The benefit is that you don't torque the string when twisting it with a back tension. I works very well for me!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 PM

Hold your release hand naturally. There are some great shooters that hold their hand vertically or turned even more. Jeff Hopkins turns his so much that it looks painful to me, but he gets awesome results.

Larry Wise teaches that for most of us a natural position will be better since it is easier for you to relax your arm and hand. I had been shooting with my hand almost vertical with the thumb down, but when I tried it with the natural position, my scores went up almost 10%. I made a couple of other changes at the same time, so I can't give all the credit to hand position, but it definitely helped me.

Hope this helps,
Allen
Old 02-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

Hold your release hand naturally. There are some great shooters that hold their hand vertically or turned even more. Jeff Hopkins turns his so much that it looks painful to me, but he gets awesome results.

Larry Wise teaches that for most of us a natural position will be better since it is easier for you to relax your arm and hand. I had been shooting with my hand almost vertical with the thumb down, but when I tried it with the natural position, my scores went up almost 10%. I made a couple of other changes at the same time, so I can't give all the credit to hand position, but it definitely helped me.

Hope this helps,
Allen
What position is considered "natural"?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen Hopkins shoot. A guy has to be double jointed to shoot like that. He sure can hit the spot though.