Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How important is shaft straightness for hunting?? >

How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Old 02-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How important is shaft straighness for hunting??

A tournament archer gets many chances. You may only get one chance at the buck of a lifetime. And, even when shooting does, doesn't the animal deserve your best effort/equipment?
Thats certainly a good ad campaign for selling expensive arrows but lets get back to the real world here. I believe we're talking about the average hunter shooting average hunting distances.

I no longer shoot competition so all my practice and 3d shoots are based on hunting situations. I achieve the same accuracy at my chosen hunting distance (40yds max) with my cheaper .006 Goldtips or my .006 Bemans that I get with my .002 CE's or my GT Pro's. I dont find it diffecult to believe that any other average archer with some shooting skills can achieve the same success at hunting distances with the cheaper arrows.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Site Bouncer

Well said Bowfanatic! That's exactly my point!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

No bigj12, your point is not missed. Anytime you purchase an arrow with .006 straightness there are also other tolerances that are compromised in the arrow(such as spine and wall thickness). The reason that they are cheaper is because of the tolerances not being so close. When I am bringing down 1000 lb animals with a bow I want to make sure that the whole arrows is directly behind the broadhead. I will never compromise my shots with arrows that may be inconsistant. Straightness isn't the only issue at hand and the original post on this thread also included the pricing of arrows. The .006 obviously being the cheaper. How cheap are these arrows actually if you can not get them all to fly right anyway? I beleive that arrow selection is a part of bowhunting and target archery that is widely overlooked. I will agree with you that most people can't shoot to the capacity of their bow much less the arrow but why not get as close to perfect as you can get? It will significantly reduce margin's of error. If you can reduce several margins of error in your setup it could equal the difference of a liver and a gut shot. I could also get into discussion about forgiveness ratings of bows but that could easily be a thread in its own.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Site Bouncer

If you practice enough there is no way you can't expect to put all of your arrows in the bullseye at 20yds and inside of a 6in circle at 40yds I do it all the time with my .006 arrows. Thats the size of the heart on your 1000lb animal = dead animal
Old 02-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Site Bouncer

And another thing, you make it sound like the .006 arrows are flying all over the place.......what arrows are you shooting? I am willing to bet that a very good archer can put all of my .006 arrows in the center of the bullseye at 20yds all TOUCHING each other.....out of my bow!

What more do you want out of a hunting set up???????
Old 02-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

How cheap are these arrows actually if you can not get them all to fly right anyway? I beleive that arrow selection is a part of bowhunting and target archery that is widely overlooked. I will agree with you that most people can't shoot to the capacity of their bow much less the arrow but why not get as close to perfect as you can get?
I think your still missing the point. What we're saying is the average archer CAN get them to fly right!

If someone achieves the same accuracy at hunting distances with the cheaper arrow that they do with the expensive "straighter" arrow how can they get any closer to "as perfect as you can get"?

I'm kind of curious as to what arrow Len hunts with? I already know what arrow his huntin buddy (David) uses or at least did use.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:35 PM

Well bigj12.you want a superior wall thickness..especially for a 1000 lb bull elk.As far as hitting the heart,have you ever been that close to elk..It aint tarhet shooting..I can tell you that. Elk crazy is right..Why would you want to be robin hood at your target,but be just mediocore when hunting..there are alot of thing that play a factor in hunting a big bull.One of them doesn't have to be your arrow.spend the couple extra dollars and go quality.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I beleive that you are missing my point now. With the cheaper arrows along with the .006 straitness are other inconsistancies. To give you an example. I thought that I would go the route and shoot cheaper arrows. I had a 10 yard shot on a very large bodied bull elk. When I shot the arrow went in right in the sweet spot, the tip that was. I had a good release and the arrow flew straight to its mark. Upon impact the broadhead drove into the bull. As the elk ran off I noticed the back leg flopping kinda funny. I found the bull colapsed on the ground and I was able to fill my tag. What happened? The arrow went into the rib square on and then deflected and snapped. The broadhead end of the arrow drove into the back femur. Will I ever try to use cheap arrows again. No way. That shot should have been a perfect passthrough like I have gotten on many before. You can not and will not ever convince me to shoot cheap arrows again. I spend 5 nights a week at the range and shoot 35-40 tournaments a year. My bow is tuned and retuned. I know my shot was right on the money both in shot location and also in my form. The close call with the biggest elk of my life could have easily been taken away. That is why I feel so strongly about arrow selection.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Site Bouncer

Once again Bowfanatic you hit the nail on the head. If I put all of my .006 arrow in the bullseye at hunting distances then why would I want to spend more money for the same results?

Before anyone else posts please re-read Bowfanatic's last post
Old 02-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowfanatic also cut out the part of my post which explains margins of error. I beleive at this point I will agree to disagree. Thanks for some lively debate. This web should help me get through to spring bear season. Good luck.

Quick Reply: How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.