HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How important is shaft straightness for hunting??
Old 02-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How important is shaft straighness for hunting??

No bigj12, your point is not missed. Anytime you purchase an arrow with .006 straightness there are also other tolerances that are compromised in the arrow(such as spine and wall thickness). The reason that they are cheaper is because of the tolerances not being so close. When I am bringing down 1000 lb animals with a bow I want to make sure that the whole arrows is directly behind the broadhead. I will never compromise my shots with arrows that may be inconsistant. Straightness isn't the only issue at hand and the original post on this thread also included the pricing of arrows. The .006 obviously being the cheaper. How cheap are these arrows actually if you can not get them all to fly right anyway? I beleive that arrow selection is a part of bowhunting and target archery that is widely overlooked. I will agree with you that most people can't shoot to the capacity of their bow much less the arrow but why not get as close to perfect as you can get? It will significantly reduce margin's of error. If you can reduce several margins of error in your setup it could equal the difference of a liver and a gut shot. I could also get into discussion about forgiveness ratings of bows but that could easily be a thread in its own.