Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How important is shaft straightness for hunting?? >

How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Old 02-21-2005, 10:09 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

It sure would be a good project for a bow magazine to do a test with a Hooter Shooter and settle the issue once and for all. Try several well known fixed broadheads with the "regular" and "premium" shafts of several brands and see what the numbers say.

Until then, I'll pay an extra buck per shaft for the extra peace of mind.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How important is shaft straighness for hunting??

I have found certain brands to be less consistent than others and have found the lower tolerance for-straightness arrrows to be less consistant than the higher end ones in most cases. This makes sense that a straighter arrow is also likely to test more consistant with spine.
This is where we disagree then. I have not noticed the more expensive arrows to be better on spine variance compared to the .006 straightness arrows. I guess thats why they dont advertize spine variances as opposed to straightness factor, they advertize the straightness factor because it's the only claim to fame.

When it comes to spine variances I've found it to be directly related to the manafacturer more than anything , meaning I've culled just as many arrows due to spine in their expensive arrows as I did in their cheaper arrows.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

After reading through this and thinking about my last reply it hit me really hard!

This shouldn't be about "cheap" versus "expensive" when talking about .006 straightness factors for hunting. I hope I haven't lead anyone down the wrong path.
There are definately "cheap" carbon arrows out there that I wouldn't pay $20 a dozen for. As for the bad ones and good ones? Use the search function as I wont mention the arrows I've tried that are totally junk and it will be easy to find good opinions on popular arrow manufacturers.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Site Bouncer

I Have not noticed the more expensive arrows to be better on spine variance compared to the .006 straightness arrows. I guess thats why they dont advertize spine variances as opposed to straightness factor, they advertize the straightness factor because it's the only claim to fame

This shouldn't be about "cheap" versus "expensive" when talking about .006 straightness factors for hunting. I hope I haven't lead anyone down the wrong path.
There are definately "cheap" carbon arrows out there that I wouldn't pay $20 a dozen for. As for the bad ones and good ones? Use the search function as I wont mention the arrows I've tried that are totally junk and it will be easy to find good opinions on popular arrow manufacturers
This has been my contention from the start. All things being the same ie: spine, broadheads, fletchings etc... and when I mean the same I'm not saying exactly but within reasonable tolerances, I don't think you could tell the difference in flight between the .006 and .001 arrows.

Now as for me, I haven't tested any of my arrows not a one. Not for spine, straightness nothing. I didn't even try to spin test my broadheads. I just put them on and shot. I will say that the broadheads impacted different (slightly high and left) that the field points did, but that is normal no matter what arrow you buy.

But after adjusting for how the broadheads hit, I was putting them all in the bullseye. I shot groups of six at 20yrds indoors. Now every once and a while I would get one about 3 inches off of the group but it was due to operator error and not the arrows. because most of the time they would all go where I was aiming.

I then took the same arrows a few days later and shot out doors at 40yrds. After adusting my 40yd pin for the broadheads I was hitting 4 out of 6 in the bulls eye and the others an inch or so outside. There was a slight breese and it was about 38 degrees. All would have been a clean heart kill. Again there were some that were slightly off but It was most likely from me or the maybe the wind, and those would have still been clean kill shots. I don't know about you all but I don't mind those results. Some times the groups were so tight that some of the arrows were touching each other.

As a hunter, what more could I ask for from my equipment. I will go into the next season very confident of my ability to put my .006 arrows where I want them to go.