Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How important is shaft straightness for hunting?? >

How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Old 02-14-2005, 11:00 PM

Default How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

I'm checking out the Gold Tip series of hunter arrows and the specs go from .006" straightness to .001" and the price goes from $55 to $85 (camo, bare shafts from www.huntersfriend.com) Is the Price difference really worth it for straighter shafts for ranges out to 40 yards??

30 inch draw
60#
whisker biscuit
parker phoenix 34
Old 02-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: How important is shaft straighness for hunting??

For hunting I don't think it matters one bit.

The difference your talking about between the two is about the width of one single strand of hair! I am willing to bet that 99% of the people on this board could not tell the difference by shooting them (if all markings were taken off of the arrows and they all looked the same) which ones were .001 and which were .006. And I know for damn sure the critters you shoot won't know either.

Just another way for arrow manufactures to soak more money out of you. Do yourself a favor and save some money.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:58 PM

I'm definetely leaning towards keeping my wallet on the heavier side...
Old 02-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Site Bouncer

I shoot .006's and have never had a problem with accuracy (other than "operator error") There is no way anyone can convince me that you NEED .001's to hunt 40yds and in. The amount of accuracy lost with the .006's even out to 70yds+ is probably so minimal that even the best wouldn't notice a difference.

There are so many other factors that come into play in order to make an accurate shot. To worry about such a small difference in arrow straightness just dosen't make sense to me. Buy the .006's and spend the extra money on range time and you will see a far better return on your money spent.

Just my .02
Old 02-15-2005, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

BigJ12 , I couldn't agree more! But this being the technical forum I'm sure there will be those who disagree.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:23 AM

I can't tell you how much will be gained by the straighter shafts. I don't know of any studies that have shown what the difference would be. I've been spine testing arrows recently and have found that the more expensive shafts tend to be more consistant with spine, which can make a significant difference in flight with broadheads.

I will add that I've always been somewhat amazed that people will go out and spend $1200 on a bow and accessories that will truely not make even the slightest difference, and then go as cheap as possible on the arrows, which definitely can make a difference. In my opinion, you could waste your money on lots of less important things.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:30 AM

when i buy the .006's i cut from both ends of the shaft getting it to length. imho this is a good idea with any arrow. usually if there is a bend its at the end. squaring the ends after cutting with a tool made for it isn't a bad idea either. you can get 2 yr old, but never used, 75/95's in camo cheap as dirt in the .006 model. got to get the new nocks also though, they come with the old lock nock.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:32 AM

SA has given you the best information. This subject has been beaten to death many times. A search would be in your best interest.

We take a lot of time instructing our customers about the need, benefit and application of arrow straightness and spine.

If anyone thinks that money can't buy you a better product, then definitely go the CHEAP route. It may be befitting.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:20 PM

hehehehe, a sly insult from a shopowner. glad i spend a couple grand a year in shops to get insulted online by one. (and a generally less cranky one).

bow no breaky, arrows breaky a lot. for shooting in the backyard and hunting a gold tip .006 is fine. for $40 delivered to my door i can get at least 8 of the dozen as good as any of the .003's and the others are fine for practice. i shoot the .003's with the .006's every time i shoot. no difference in poi. guess i'm just cheap. i used to buy more expensive arrows but they broke even easier.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand that spine consistency is extremely important, but how critical is .005" or .003" of straightness? Have you found that straightness consistency coincides with spine consistency? It's my understanding, and I am far from an expert, that the arrows are the same stiffness but the straightness is not as consistent say from GT Expeditions to Pro Hunters. I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong, but I have to agree the average archer isn't good enough to notice a difference. If you guys that are more in the know with arrow technology have some info about tolerances and how they effect each other (i.e. straightness effecting spine, spine effecting weight, etc.) please let share it because I want to be able to get the most performace that my limited abilities will allow without paying for something that I can't take advantage of.

I do tend to agree with gibblet that arrows get lost, bent, broken and just plain wear out so if excessive cost can be avoided it should be.

Quick Reply: How important is shaft straightness for hunting??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.