Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 adjust for windage on sights >

adjust for windage on sights

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

adjust for windage on sights

Old 02-14-2005, 02:14 PM

Default adjust for windage on sights

With the micro adjust sights, I hear people talking about adjusting for windage. I dont really understand this. How do you do this? I am confused. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:30 PM

Default RE: adjust for windage on sights

doesn't make sense to me either...I say keep it simple..If you have a hard enough cross wind then allow for it just like you would rifle hunting..also dont take a 50 yrd shot with a hard wind..When bowhunting you really dont have time to make adjustments in the field..To me that allows more room for error IMO..
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If all you do is hunt then you can do it that way. There are people who shoot bows for something other than hunting. There are days when I may be shooting a couple inches one way or the other at 50 yards. Rather than fight the bow to get that couple inches I just adjust the sight. You have to accept the fact that to some of us that last little bit of accuracy is very important. And personally for me it's very rewarding to do so with my hunting bow, too.

Of course you don't go around adjusting things while hunting. All the little quirks should have been ironed out by then.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is an old post, but I'll chime in anyway just to clear things up.

"Adjusting your sight for windage" in archery doesn't have anythign to do with the wind.
It just refers to the left-right position of the sight. The 2 ways to adjust a sight are Windage and Elevation, regardless of whether the sight stays fixed in place, or it is adjusted in the field (like for long distance rifle shooting).

Set your bow's sights to hit dead-on at a certain yardage, and leave them there.
If there is a strong wind, you shouldn't be shooting unless a very short distance.

I don't know anyone who would consider touching their sight adjustments on a bow in the field.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:52 PM

your exactly right bulzeye...dial em in for dead on and if you need to adjust for windage do it by aiming left or right...dont move sight around..to much room for error..