Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

starting out

Old 09-29-2004, 03:10 PM

Default starting out

Hello all, in a bit of a problem, trying to get into archery but in need of a bow, i don't want to splash out on a brand new one straight away so i figured i'd get one off ebay kind of site to get used to the sport but i'm a lefty, so i'd just like to ask, from standing behind the bow, which side will the shelf be on for a lefty? left or right? thanks, jamie
Old 09-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: starting out

on the right standing behind
Old 09-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the board and stay here for some great info. I've learned more on this board in one year than in 10 years of casual bowhunting previous. You'll find proshoppers, bow company tech reps, and people who've been into archery their entire life posting here. The bottom line is that if you've got a question, chances are someone's got a good answer.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:27 AM

I can appreciate wanting to start out with something less expensive, but buying your first bow off ebay could be a big mistake. Correct draw length is vitally important to good shooting and bows vary greatly in how they feel when shooting. I'd recommend going to the bow shop in town with the best reputation for knowledge and buying a used bow from them. They'll fit it to you, help tune it, and get you started with proper shooting form tips. This stuff is worth a lot, and can mean the difference between great enjoyment or extreme frustration.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would recommend getting set up at a shop also. Getting properly fitted is critical, for sure, and it's an excellent reason in itself to buy your first bow in a shop. Avoiding getting burned on a used bow that's a wreck waiting to happen is another.

Dealing with second hand bows is best left to those who know what they need and know what mechanical problems to look for. There are a lot of older bows out there that have tons of good shooting left in them, but there are also just as many junkers that people are trying to pass off on the unknowing.

When someone buys a used bow, they should take it to a shop and have the bow thoroughly serviced. Cleaned, lubed, inspected and have new string and cable(s) installed. You're generally talking around a hundred bucks for that work, so that cuts deeply into any savings you're looking to walk away with.

Since price seems to be your prime concern, you do not want to risk wasting your money on potentially buying someone else's junk. An alternative.... PSE has several great starter bows with pretty small price tags, and they're available as kits with arrow rests, sights and quiver. Any one of them makes for a solid bow that'll get you going well on your way. It's pretty hard to find a shop that doesn't sell PSE.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can to get into archery there no more important time then to have a shop set you up. Many shops have used bows and even if they don't, they have very good new starter bows like a Buckmaster BTR-32. A full package for about $250. Getting it set-up and understanding the hows and whys is very valuable.

Good Luck!