Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuned or not ?

Old 09-21-2004, 06:23 PM

Default tuned or not ?

I have an 03 mighty mite, initially the bow was setup by the shop with the nock high 1/4" +or-, the bow would not tune until the nock was placed 1/8"+ low. the bow now shoot bullet holes with feathers or bare shafts from 6 ft to about 10yards (which is where i stopped shooting through paper) This seems totally wrong. I am shooting through a whisker biscuit using a release. Also I initially tried to set the bow up with turbo nocks. I would really like to use these if they could fly a broadhead true. With the nock high the turbo nocks flew through the rest fine but caused a nock high tear. With the nock lowered to the new setting which causes bullet holes with feathers and bare shafts, the turbo nock contacts the bottom of the biscuit causing the lower plastic fletch to be sheared off. Has anyone had any similar experiences with either the nocking point or tuning issues with the turbo nock.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:52 PM

Default RE: tuned or not ?

i have not used the turbos but i have nocking point about 3/8 inch high
Old 09-23-2004, 06:15 AM

You should check your tiller. You can force any bow's nocking point higher or lower, by adjusting tiller. Whether it's high or low, isn't extremely important. It will affect the nock travel, so a bit of testing will tell you where the bow tunes best. Most bows and cams are designed to be shot with the arrow close to perpendicular to the string. I've found that experimentation with tiller to be worthwhile when dealing with many single cams. Since different draw lengths can affect cam position, you may get better nock travel at some draw lengths with tiller that isn't even.

In addition, some like adjusting tiller to get a particular feel to their grip. Moving tiller can make the grip naturally hold higher or lower.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may want to ask Nick Snook directly. He is a member on the boards. Personally, I gave up on the turbos, but there are people who use them. You may want to PM Nick.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to make up your mind on what you want to shoot on your arrows for fletching . They wont tune the same for shooting turbos and feathers . When tuneing the WB rest I have noticed it likes the nock point about level , as opposed to + or - about 1/4 inch for most of the dropaways that are so popular nowadays .
Old 10-05-2004, 06:21 PM

I posted this elswere here but I will put the info here also.
I recently set up a high country ssr with a whisker biscuit and tuned it without any tool just eyeballing horizontal and vertical then fine tuning by reading the paper tears. It took me 5 shots to get a bullet hole.

Shot 1. left low tear, I lowered the rest one line.
Shot 2 medium low left tear, I lowered the rest one more line and on shot 3 I got a dead level with a left tear. ( A dead level tear left or right means the turbo height adjustment is correct)
Shot 4 I moved the rest AWAY from the tear one line . ( This is opposite of what you do with conventional fletch) Final shot BULLET HOLE.

The biggest mistake most make when tuning the Whisker is moving it to far to make adjustments. It usually comes in tune with very small adjustments.