Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New Bow, Get it Re-tuned? >

New Bow, Get it Re-tuned?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Bow, Get it Re-tuned?

Old 05-17-2004, 07:18 PM

Default New Bow, Get it Re-tuned?

I got my bow in December and have shot around 100 arrows through it. Do I need to take it into a pro shop and have them tighten up my draw weight since the string stretches a little after being used?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Bow, Get it Re-tuned?

Probably not. If the string stretches then the drawlength increases and the draw weight goes up. So you'll need to take some weight off, not on.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:51 PM

The best situation would be to keep your string and cable maintained at the factory recomended lengths to keep your cam in the correct rotation and brace height and axle to axle length correct. A few twists is usually all it takes to make the correction and will let your bow shoot like it was designed to. Have fun!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:12 AM

What BGFisher says, is correct, but if the cable creeps, the draw weight will go down. I would take it to the shop, have them measure the string and cable (under pressure) and then twist accordingly. When done with this, measure the ATA and brace height exactly. Record this and refer to it periodically to determine if your string or cable has crept. In this manner, you will always know if your bow should be shooting like you expect.