Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw Stop [?]

Old 02-26-2002, 09:24 AM

Default Draw Stop [?]

Why doesn't every single cam bow come with a draw stop? It seems like it would be easy enough to remove if you didn't want one. It would also appear to be pretty cheap for the manufacturer to include one on each bow. The biggest complain I have with my Martin Panther Magnum is that the wall is not very defined and I have to be careful to stop at the same point in the valley each time. If I had a 1/2" more brace height and a hard wall, I wouldn't even consider getting a new bow. However, the lack of those two items has me looking.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Draw Stop [?]

I can't speak for all of the single cams out there but if you remove the draw stop from the Hoyt Versacam then the bow draws past its highest advertised draw length setting by almost a full inch. So a Versacam #3 which goes from roughly 27-31 inches would actually draw to 32 and the back wall wouldn't be quite as solid though it is still "workable" in my opinion.

The original Redline did not have a draw stop and yet still possessed a solid backwall. The downside to this was that there needed to be a different size Redline cam for every inch of draw length. Same thing goes for the original Mathews Maxcam and the Straightline Maxcam if I am not mistaken.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the input PA. I understand what you're saying about changing the draw length by removing the draw stop. I guess I don't see anything negative about having one on, and am wondering why all manufacturers don't include one. Do some actually prefer the mushy wall? Why would a manufacturer not put one on? Can one be added to a bow where the cam wasn't designed for one?
Old 02-27-2002, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Straight arrow,

To answer your first question...not all perimeter weighted style single cams that don't have a draw stop have a "mushy" wall. Hoyt's old Redline cam was far from what I would call mushy.....and the same thing would go for most of the Mathews cams.

As for your second question......I think it would depend on the cam. Some cams are designed to draw into the peg that is machined into the single cam where the cable anchors. On others I am not as certain.

Ofcourse, doing something like this would mean that a new hole would have to be drilled into the cam edge and that would obviously void the bow's warranty and could cause possible damage to the bow and the shooter.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:34 PM

Good point on the safety factor. It would be silly to risk a malfunction with something as potentially dangerous as a bow and you're definitely right about the Mathews' cams - very hard wall.