Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 another bowtech question! >

another bowtech question!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

another bowtech question!

Old 05-19-2004, 02:10 PM

Default another bowtech question!

trying to find out as much as i can before i decide.this was asked of me today at work.what is really better a bow with a longer brace height of 7 3/4(mm) though shorter ata.or longer ata with a shorter brace height of 6 1/2 to 7 for someone with a short draw of 27 1/2.making this to hard for myself.liberty,justice, mighty mite or patriot.bow tech advertises that there bows will perform at the same level say at 62lbs on a 70lb set of limbs.how much effenciency is lost at a reduced poundage on a peak set of limbs at 70 and shot at say 62 with any bow
Old 05-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: another bowtech question!

With your draw length, IMO you are only handicapping yourself by going with a longer brace height bow (unless your form is iffy).

Regardless, I prefer a longer bow with a decent brace (i.e. 6.75" to 7.25") rather than a short bow with a big brace. Longer, heavier bows are more stable during the entire shot sequence, and I find that added stability helps to keep me from making the mistakes in the first place that a higher brace would help with.

Did that make sense?

EDIT: I always recommend shooting the bow near it's peak weight. Speed diff will be small on some modles, but the bow will have the proper limb preload, brace height, a better feel to the force draw curve and will generally be quieter with less vibration
Old 05-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: another bowtech question!

I have to disagree to an extent. With a shorter draw like yours, you won't have to worry about an extremely accute string angle. I feel a shorter bow wont feel all that much different to you than a longer ATA all other things being equal. I agree that if you're looking to get a bow that has good speed at a shorter draw, a slightly shorter brace height will help out there. Since it seems most bows today with shorter braces are more relfexed, you will get more speed out of them.

If you're using this bow for hunting, I would suggest going with something around 7" brace. This way, you will have better clearence on the bow arm, especially in colder weather.