Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Indoor Range Target Construction?? >

Indoor Range Target Construction??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Indoor Range Target Construction??

Old 04-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Indoor Range Target Construction??

Rack, I dont know if this would be an option, but if you contact the "BLOCK" company, they will send you one about 8x8 feet. One giant block target. I have shot them and they are awesome. They are pricey, but they will last a LONG time. Theye are around $500.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:34 PM

Well, I feel pretty stupid. I mentioned above that the range I shoot at makes their own targets. What I didn't know is that they manufacture them and sell them under the name "Arrow Brake". I must admit I feel bad not knowing that since I talk to the owner every week. Anyway, if you want to talk to Fred about the targets and what is on the inside I am sure he wouldn't mind. They even have a model made just for indoor archery ranges.

The Arrow Brake "Answer".
The second generation ultimate indoor range target with two finger removal. No more messy or hard to pull out arrows when using the Arrow Brake Answer. The range target measures 24'' X 24" square and comes with five bullseys on each of the six sides. The Arrow Brake Answer was designed for the indoor ranges to help keep the range costs down and make more money. This target will take tens of thousands of shots and stop any arrow from any bow with ease. It comes with a target holder for the target face.

I can now confirm that this is what I have been shooting into for the last couple of years and they are great.

You can call Fred at Streiff's Sporting Goods 800-817-2590 or shoot an email to [email protected].
Old 04-08-2004, 04:13 PM

I bet if you contact Morrell they will afford you a quantity discount on their 'Eternity Target,' and if you'll do a little advertising for them they may shave a little more off. The target itself never wears out, it's made out of scrap string and fabric as best I can tell, wrapped in a plastic burlap or the same stuff that we buy grass seed or feed in. When the cover wears out, just replace it for a couple of bucks or wrap an old sack over it and bind it. It's what we use at the indoor range. Arrows usually bury 4 or 5 inches with EASY removal. You won't be able to do any broadheads, becaue they'll shred the wrapping in a heartbeat.

Just my (most humble) opinion...
Old 04-08-2004, 06:21 PM

Rack, I dont know if this would be an option, but if you contact the "BLOCK" company, they will send you one about 8x8 feet. One giant block target. I have shot them and they are awesome. They are pricey, but they will last a LONG time. Theye are around $500.
I looked through there site - 8x8 is huge.......for 500 thats not so bad........thanks

They even have a model made just for indoor archery ranges.
Thanks - I will keep him in mind

I bet if you contact Morrell they will afford you a quantity discount on their 'Eternity Target,' and if you'll do a little advertising for them they may shave a little more off
A local range uses the big block Morrells, they do seem to hold up ver well, and they can be rotated on all 4 sides. If he was to go comercial targets I think this would be the one. Than maybe a few lanes with the block for broadheads.

Thanks guys

Any one else???
Old 04-08-2004, 06:25 PM

hoyt-boy:
"The target itself never wears out, ...."
I'd have to totally disagree with you. We have been using the Morrell range targets for year and they do wear out. What we do is catch them before they're beyond a certain stage and sell them as 'used' to customers.

We recently tried the Magic Stop range target and it can be used on all 6 sides. I'm thinking about switching to them on my next purchase of 50 range targets.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:32 PM

I'd have to totally disagree with you. We have been using the Morrell range targets for year and they do wear out
Len - thanks for responding

How long are the Morrell targets lasting??

have you used the layered block type targets?? I am sceptical how they will hold up to 2512's.

Magic stop........thanks I will check it out...........

if you don't mind........what are you using as a target face over the targets??
Old 04-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

After thinking about the ones I saw for $500.00, maybe they were 5x5 feet. I was looking at my 8 foot ceiling and had to think again.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Morell had some serious issues last year. I went through 4 different Eternity bags in two months, including a free one for all the trouble I had with them. The shop had several others come back from other customers too. Kind of put me off, and I've been shooting Morell targets for years

My dealer gave me a free magic stop to test for them. Fairly impressive. Not as good as the Morells used to be IMO, but a good bag.

IMO Rack, go with "Block". Our range converted to them about a year or so ago. They RAWK! In fact give Mike a call at Flying Arrow up in Carmel, NY and talk to him if ya want some info..tell him I sent ya. (www.flyingarrowsports.com has the number..I don't have the # handy at the moment)
Old 04-08-2004, 07:00 PM

Len,

That's interesting to me, I never heard of the actual target wearing out. Is it just the covering of the guts of the target or is it the guts themselves that is wearing out? Like I said earlier, when the outer 'bag' wears out to the point that the stuffing falls out then they just replace the covering for next to nothing. The ones I'm familiar with have been in place since '97 I think - it's not a huge club but there are several members who do make regular use of it year round. They usually last 6 months or so before the stuffing starts falling out, the guys who own the range turn the targets over about everyday or every other day. I've also seen them jumping up and down on them to rearrange the stuffing when the arrows start going a little deep. But the targets themselves take forever to wear out from my experience, especially since they are filled with that string and fabric which doesn't lose mass with shots like the layered targets and 3-d targets do. But that's just my personal experience, and I'm sold.

Just curious, how long is it taking for your targets to wear out, and what part of the target is wearing out? Thanks...

Again, just my humble opinion...

To elaborate on what JeffB said, I don't have experience with the ones made/sold in the last year - just the older ones. I do have one that is a couple of years old and is mine personally, but I can't give a good review on its performance because since I got my Tuff Buck 3-d target I just haven't shot at the eternity target much. However, in the couple of hundred shots I've put in it, it has been fine. But that's not really enough to give an accurate review.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:49 AM

IMO Rack, go with "Block". Our range converted to them about a year or so ago. They RAWK!
Thanks Jeff. How go they handle big arrows pounding the X, over and over again.............after all, you know, thats how I shoot.......

Quick Reply: Indoor Range Target Construction??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.