Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ? on serving strings >

? on serving strings

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

? on serving strings

Old 03-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default ? on serving strings

I am getting into serving strings for me and my boys, so I don't have to go to the shop everytime I need maintenance done on our bows. I am ordering a cavalier pro server, and my question is on serving material. I am considering the brownell braided fast flight serving, but it comes in two diamaters, .026 or .030. Which one of these should I use? Is their another serving material that is better? I value all of your suggestions. By the way, do you know of any video's that show basic string serving and peep sight installations that don't cost a fortune? Some of the videos on this in catalogs are pricey. I would appreciate your help. Thanks, and good shootin'. Bhunter32.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? on serving strings

those are both on the large size for serving, never seen a .03.

Most of the strings I make and servings I do are served with .020 or
.021, the material is either Polygrip or braided fastflight, both from BCY.
I do make my wifes strings with .026.

--Bob
Old 03-12-2004, 10:40 AM

Foremost, I recommend that you ignore all the loss or gain of speed considerations that you might hear regarding choice of center serving material and how you should serve your string..

Being I have had good success using bows that have 156 FPS and 176-180 FPS, -/+ speed has never been something I consider when setting my bows up. Durability/ reliability, "stay-putness, "and performance directly related to the particular component and/or material is the only guide I use.

You should (first) base the selection of the correct diameter (size) of the center serving you should use on the size and type of nock you will be using. Doing so requires that you know how many strands are in the bowstring you have on your bow, and any other component that is on your string that affects nock fit once the serving is applied. Also, take into consideration that the serving will wear in at the nocking area.

If your bowstring is of the "Fast-Flite" type, take into account that most bowstrings of said type have a very slick surface and greater shock than "Dacron-type" bowstrings. Based on experience, it is my opinion that any serving material that monofilament, nylon, and polyester, or comprised of a combination of any of these materials, is not a good choice to use on today's compound bowstrings.

I consider monofilamet to be the worse material ever used on a bowstring. It has the worse grasping capacity, especially for slick surfaced bowstring. It stretches horribly, and it does not stand up well to bowstring shock. I found nylon and polyester are better, but not that much better when used on the compound bowstrings of today.

Once you determine what diameter is best for the nock-to-string size you use, you should then consider holding ability and durability. I once considered that a serving string made of the same material as the bowstring would be a good match up. Based on my experience, I found the opposite to be the case.

After trying several types of material, I eventually found that the braided "Spectra "Halo" and the "No. 62 Braided Spectra-polyester blend" to be the best for c-serving for me. I have used the Spectra (.018 and .019 ) for several years and have never had a serving stretch, break, unravel, or overly fray. It is very durable and has great grasping ability

I suppose there are (now) improved materials that are better. However, mine ain't broke and, therefore, I ain't goin' to fix it.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

I use the same as c903. Halo .019 for end servings, #62 .021 for center servings on my 22 strand 452x string. Use the same on 12 strands of 450.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:22 AM

You can buy just about buy any bow maintanance book out there that will have a how to in it. Once you served a bow a couple of times it will be second nature, it is very simple. I would recommend some type of bow press, portable are cheap, to make it easier. I use braided #62 on my bow in .21 and like it, plus a spool will last forever for personal use.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link to a CD you can buy that may address your concerns.
http://www.bcyfibers.com/technical_s...b%20lo%205.pdf